My Breast Look Square and High Up After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I got 600 cc High Profile Saline implants on Nov. 1st ,2012. They are stiff and look like jellybeans. They don't really have any round shape to them. I just started massaging them because they don't hurt anymore. I have had them exactly one week and I'm freaking out. I just want them to drop and look normal. Did I get them too big? Is there anything wrong with them? Anything I can do to make them more round? I was a 34 c pre- surgery.

My Breast Look Square and High Up

It is quite common for implants to appear "high riding" at a week after surgery, and they can be expected to "drop" over the course of 3 months as the pectoral muscles relax to accommodate these. 

As to the choice of size, that is hard to answer without preop photos and breast measurement.They do look quite large for your frame, and that may be contributing to the appearance. The width of a 600 HP implant is just under 14 cm, and many surgeons would restrict their use to patients whose breast width is 14 cm.

At any rate, work on massage and if you don't have a pectoral strap, ask your surgeon if you should be using one. 

Thanks for you question, and best wishes. 

My Breast Look Square and High Up After Breast Augmentation?

It is has been common for the immediate post-operative appearance of breast implants to be high riding and you are well served to massage them down.  Work with your surgeon, but I would suggest being very diligent about your massage exercises to assist in getting them into a lower position.  

For more information, please go to my website at:

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Usual appearance after surgery

It appears that you have a thinner body frame, and the breast implants are on the larger side. Both of these factors can contribute to their current appearance. While this does look unusually jellybean-ish, it’s still just a week after your surgery, which means that they’re compressed and sitting a little higher than they should be. Over 4 months or so, your body will adjust to their presence, and they’ll drop into position and soften.

Ronald Levine, MD

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

I am post surgery. Domy breasts look weird?

Thank you for your question. Your postoperative photographs are certainly very helpful. My advice is to wait 4 to 6 months prior to considering a "final" result. I wish you the best of luck.

One week post op, high and square, normal?

Thank you for the photo. Only one week out, it is very hard to say anything about the final outcome. Breast implants tend to start dropping into place after 3 to 4 weeks. They usually will get to their final position in 6 to 12 months. One will drop faster than the other, also the shape may go through changes. Please follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions. We like message, but some surgeons will have you wait, or do it in a specific manner.  Please also let them know your thoughts and concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Plan on 3-6 months for these to drop...

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation surgery is characterized by rapid change. During this dynamic phase of healing, swelling, muscle spasm and the healing process itself, all contribute to changes in the appearance of a woman’s breasts.In some cases, swelling and muscle spasm can displace breast implants in a superior direction when implants are placed beneath the muscle.Based on your pictures, I believe this is a distinct possibility.
In some cases, superior implant displacement may be due to inadequate pocket dissection.When the muscle insertions of the inferior pocket aren’t adequately separated, the implant is often superiorly malpositioned.At this point in time, there’s no evidence to suggest that this has occurred in this particular case.
With time, assuming adequate pocket dissection, these implants might return to a more normal position.Sometimes, the use of massage and a superior bandeau may facilitate the process.It may take 3 to 6 months for these implants to drop into a normal position.If no progress has occurred by then, revisional surgery may be necessary.This would involve recreating the lower portions of the breast pocket.
It’s important to have good communication with your plastic surgeon.Make sure he is aware of your concerns.He is familiar with the specifics of your surgery and will be able to give you appropriate direction.

My breast look square and high up after breast augmentation?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Wait for implants to drop

You are definitely too early in your recovery to judge your results because your breast implants haven't dropped yet. Wait 4 months to let this happen.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

Your muscles are pushing the implant where they can and that is up thats why the implants look boxy it will take a few months for things to settle but I doubt they will be perfectly round in the end