I Hate my Cheeks,, Please Help Me :'( (photo)

I am 24 yrs old my biggest issues is having a hollow,small long face with no cheeks,I look 10 yrs older in my side profile pictures, I always have to smile so people wouldn't notice it. I guess its a good thing to smile all the time but I wish I could have my smiling cheeks even when I am not smiling,it gives me more youthful prettier face and I don't know what or where I can get that fixed is it by midface or fillers like juvederm and restylane?how can I search for the best doctor to do it?

Doctor Answers 13

Smiling cheeks without having to smile

Whether your cheeks are naturally less full or age has rendered them less full, there are ways to enhance them. Hyaluronic acid fillers--Juvéderm, Restylane and Perlane offer the advantage that they look and feel natural and are dissolvable if necessary. Radiesse isn't dissolvable like the HA fillers, but it creates nice volume. Another option is to create your own new collagen and volume with Sculptra. Seek a physician who has a lot of aesthetic experience with all the options. I'm biased towards fillers or Sculptra rather than cheek implants, but for some patients that may be a good choice.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Lack of Cheek Projection and Contour

You have multiple choices to improve your cheek projection and contour. Fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiesse or your own fat can be used. Cheek implants will provide a more permanent result. Consult with a physician who does all these procedures; there are advantages and disadvantages of each.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews


my best solution for hollow cheeks especially in young healthy patients is to do fat grafting. it lasts longer than fillers, it looks a lot more natural and its your own fat. no matter how skinny, we all have some stores of fat that can be used. not sure where youre located but Im in NYC. Ive treated a lot of patients like your self with great results with fat grafting

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Nice Cheeks

Hi HG,

Don't hate!!!  Enjoy your youth.  Using a bit of filler will plump up your cheeks.  I would consider Sculptra, Perlane, or Radiesse.  The most important aspect of your treatment is choosing an experience injecting physician with natural artistic vision.  Go for multiple consultations and check out the staff.  If they look good, then likely it will be okay.  If they look like genetic mutants, then move on to the next office.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

I Hate my Cheeks,, Please Help Me :'( (photo)

If you are looking for some immediate gratification I would choose radiesse in someone with extensive experience in achieving natural results.


Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 87 reviews

Cheeks flat

Cheek fullness can be obtained with fillers. More permanent would be fat, but fillers like restylane, perlane, and juvederm are nice.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Submalar Augmentation - Fillers, Fat and Implants

Building up the submalar area of your cheeks is what you are creating by smiling. Its effects can be initially created by synthetic injectable fillers to prove the benefits of submalar augmentation. Once proven that creates a favorable result, you can then consider fat injections or submalar implant augmentation for a permanent result.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Cheek rejuvenation/augmentation in a younger face

Based on your photographs you are a good candidate for a filler of some kind to give your cheek more volume.  The picture doesn't show your full cheek projection, but your bony anatomy appears sufficient...which means that I would not recommend a cheek implant for you.  I would not recommend a midface lift (if that is what you were referring to in your question).

I prefer Sculptra to allow for a longer term volumization of the cheek area.  It allows for a natural volumization and your results should last about 2 years or more.  Other products like Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiesee can also be used.  There are risks and benefits with all these products that your qualified doctor can discuss with you.

Your injecting physician should be able to share before and after photographs to help you to understand what you can expect from your treatments.

Michael Bowman, MD
Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Treatment of a hollow, small long face with no cheeks

Fillers that work by stimulating formation of your own collagen such as Radiesse and Sculptra are ideal for your situation. These fillers are injected beneath the skin, forming a scaffold on which your collagen grows, correcting problems due to volume loss as well as being used for enhancing cheekbones. Juvederm or Restylane are Hyaluronic acid gels which are injected more superficially, being injected in the skin rather than beneath it. In my opinion they do not work nearly as well to create volume. To find the best doctor for your treatment, look for a physician who is very experienced in cosmetic procedures and with whom you are comfortable. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector, not their specialty, is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

How to find a doctor to do injectables

The loss of facial volume does make people look older. However, you still do have a nice triangle shape to your face, which is youthful. Adding a bit of filler into the cheek area should solve your problem. While others suggest Radiesse or Sculptra, I tend to avoid these on first time filler patients as there is no way to remove them if you don't like them. Restylane or Perlane would be what I would suggest. These are hyaluronic acid fillers so they plump well, last about 8-12 months in the central face, and are soft, so they feel more natural. Plus, there is a reversing agent if you don't like the filler or something goes wrong. To find a good injector, you can look on this website to see who is close to you. Set up a few consultations and go from there. Or, ask people you know who they recommend.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.