Sculptra Dilution time frame?

I've read that Sculptra should be diluted hours or pref days before injection. With the Dr. i've been seeing, i bring the 2 vials from the pharmacy, he says he's "going to prepare them" and then i'm injected! 10 mins after i arrive. I haven't gotten lumps from it, but is there a problem with mixing/injecting straight away like that? I suppose he could tell me he's "preparing it" and then he goes and gets pre-prepared ones, but i've always had the impression he uses the ones i bring. Thanks.

Sculptra dilution time

Sculptra is best diluted at least 24 hours before use. I have it mixed for several days before treating patients.. You need to contact your treating doctor and find out the specific answer to your question about how he is diluting it.

Takes time

It takes time for the Sculptra to dissolve into the tissues.
Ten minutes is not enough.
Best to ask about the preparation with a phone call.

Time from dilution to injection for Sculptra

Dear nullibist:

It is unlikely he would be able to inject Sculptra 10 minutes after dilution, as the dried material does not mix with the diluent immediately. For quite a while after mixing, the Sculptra particles are still clumped and separate from the diluting liquid.

He is probably swapping out premixed vials for your vials. Not sure why he doesn't order it, but if you are having the treatment becasue of a medical condition, it may be required by your insurance plan that you obtain Sculptra from the pharmacy yourself. If so, it makes sense and I can't see any harm to you. He would be protecting you from having to make two visits to his office.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Sculptra and Other Fillers for Facial Sculpting -- Dilution

Sculptra should be diluted at least 24 hours in advance in my opinion.  In my practice I dilute at least 72 hours in advance to avoid any risk of lump/nodules.  The chance of this is minimal if the dilution is 9 cc or greater.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Longer dilution time is better

Although company guidelines allow for as little as 4 hours of preparation time, experinced injectors know that the longer Sculptta "cooks" the less the chance of nodules, and the better overall distribution of Sculptra. So even though 4 hours of wait time is not against the rules, it's best to give it more time.
I am an experienced, top 100 sculptra injestor in the world and I will never inject anyone with less than 24 hour preparation time, but preferably 48 hours or more. In a high volume practice like ours, this is never a problem, as we have many vials ready to go for all patients. People who don't inject much Sculptra may want to do it "on the fly", and that should tell you to go elsewhere. Best if luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Sculptra Reconstitution Time

The beautiful thing about Sculptra is the results and longevity. However, this is the "rose bush" side of Sculptra because the complications can be difficult and hard to treat. I reconstitute Sculptra for a minimum of 5-7 days prior to injecting. Best to have a longer reconstitution time and avoid problems or "sculptomas".  

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Dilution time frame?

The original recommnedation was to dilute 4 hours before use. However, most experienced injectors do this 4 to 5 days in advance. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Sculptra Reconstitution Amount & Timing

While the FDA label for the product says one thing, the product should ideally be pre-mixed for at lease 24-48 hrs prior to injection.  That allows the product to hydrate completely and helps to avoid nodules.   The label also says to mix the product up with 5cc of sterile water per vial, but it is also recommended that the dilution is more.  In my practice, I tend to mix the vials up about 72 hrs prior to injection.  I use a 9cc dilution, but anywhere from 7-12cc per vial (depending on the area to inject the product) is generally accepted.  It is most important to talk to your doctor and get the vials to him, prior to your appointment for injection.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra dilution time frame...

Thank you for your question.  Sculptra is typically diluted by most physicians at least 24 hours ahead of time even though on label is 2 hours.  Your physician is likely swapping your vials for premixed ones.  I would check with their office as diluting and using immediately leads to more complications like lumps, etc.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias 

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra dilution time

In my opinion, it is best to dilute Sculptra a while before injecting it.  This time frame can vary by physician, but the manufacturer recommends diluting 2 hours prior to use.  I find it is usually helpful to dilute more than 2 hours before injecting.  I would not recommend diluting Sculptra 10 minutes prior to use.  It is very likely that your physician has vials that have been prepared prior to your arrival and he is just switching them out.  You could just ask his office about this to check.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon