Can I remove Voluma Lift Juvederm from the cheeks? Any advice?

I got VolumaLift Juvederm to my cheecks yesterday based on recommendation of a well trusted physician that I saw his work on friends. However, I am noticing that one cheek is fuller than the other, and both cheecks are developing pain which I didn't experience during or the first night after application. I regret having the treatment and am concerned of the long term effect even if I have the fillers removed. Any advice on next step would be greatly appreciated.

Reversal of Voluma

Consider waiting at least 2 weeks prior to reversing filler.  Early on swelling and the occasional bruising can make filler look more asymmetric than desirable.  Once swelling has subsided, you can determine how effective your treatment with filler was and the best course of action.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma

I would recommend waiting at least 2 weeks before you have the product dissolved.  You can have swelling which can cause pain and aysemmetry for up to 2 weeks after your injection.  If you are still not satisfied then I would recommend talking to your physician about a possible hylaronidase injection. 

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

Give it up to 2 weeks before deciding to have your Voluma removed with hyaluronidase. As the swelling from the initial injections resolve the asymmetric fullness may get better. Thanks for sharing your concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Voluma Injections for the Face

Voluma is a fantastic injection for the mid face.  Sometimes it can take up to two weeks for the swelling or asymmetry to resolve.  I would suggest you wait it out and then return to your treating dermatologist to assess if you need more product or need the Voluma to be dissolved.

Dissolving Voluma

The discomfort and asymmetry you are experiencing may be due to a few things, one of which is the normal swelling that results after injection. This may resolve with time, or any asymmetry can sometimes be corrected with touch ups. The benefit of Voluma is that it can be reversed with Hyaluronidase. I would recommend waiting at least 2 weeks after your injected so you can be re-evaluated once the swelling resolves. If you are still not happy then you can have the product reversed at that time. Best of luck to you!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Voluma for Cheeks

Voluma, like other HA fillers, can be dissolved if necessary. Follow up with your physician to discuss your options. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma Benefits

One of the best things about these hyaluronic acid products is that we can continue to sculpt and contour them even after they have been injected.  Once the initial swelling subsides, you can return to your Doctor and have them "adjust" it.  This would be the best way to address the situation.

The next best thing would be to dissolve the unwanted product using hyaluronidase.  This always works.  However, we encourage patients to be patient before removing Juvederm Voluma, Juverdern Ultra Plus or Restylane products.  I would recommend waiting at least a month after your provider try to readjust the material.

On a personal note.  I recently asked one of our injectors to inject just one lower eyelid region with Voluma - and ask that it be placed in the wrong plane... that is to create a bump.  My purpose was to demonstrate how these products can be adjusted after the fact.  We did record this but it is not yet posted.

These are wonderful products, so please be patient and go back to see you provider.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing Voluma

You can have sensitivity after filler injection and most often swelling is asymmetric, so that would explain both of those things since you just recently had the filler done. Yes, you can remove it with hyaluronidase injections, which removes any hyaluronic acid filler. But you might just want to give it a few more days too to see how everything looks. Unless something is seriously wrong I don't recommend people try to remove filler for 10-14 days after the initial injections were done.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."