Most reliable way to correct sunken eyes and mid face sag? (photo)

I'm a 31 yo male with significant volume loss in the mid face. I have hollow tear troughs extending into malar hollows. The sagging cheek is causing nasolabial lines to develop now too. I've had filler to lift my cheeks but it felt like 90% had dissolved within 8 weeks so I'm reluctant to put more in. What would be the most reliable way way to go about fixing this?

Doctor Answers 7

Most reliable way to correct sunken eyes and mid face sag?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If filler dissipated too quickly in your mid face, you may be a candidate for a midfacelift and eyelid lift. If you do not want surgery, then Restylane® or Belotero® may be best in your under eye hollows, and Juvaderm Voluma® may be best in your cheeks.

Miami Dermatologist

Correcting Sunken Eyes and Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

When correcting the face it is most important to look at the face it its totality.  Replacing lost volume with either Juvederm Voluma or Sculptra would give you a natural looking lift and correct facial volume. Injecting Restylane or Belotero under the eyes would correct the tear trough hollow under your eyes and make them look less sunken.  The Volume alone would help the eye area as well.  Of course there is no substitute for an in office consultation to evaluate your facial structures.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with facial cosmetic injections for the best results.

Most Reliable Way to Correct Sunken Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question and thanks for including the photo as well. You do have tear troughs and fairly prominent nasolabial folds which is a bit unusual for a 31 year old, although we do see this in our clinics. My first recommendation is to see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and to discuss with them the various options that exist to minimize these areas and make them look better than they appear to be at this time. Fillers, with the proper injectors using them, are the perfect fit here, and depending upon who is doing this, one type of HA filler, with or without a second type, might be optimal here. I would recommend Restylane or Belotero in the tear troughs, and yes Juvederm can be done for this area as well. For the nasolabial folds, one might use Restylane, Perlane, or one of the Juvederm products. Some providers might suggest Voluma into the cheeks to soften the hollows around the eye and folds — from the picture, this would not be my first way to proceed, but with a proper examination and discussion, this may be a nice alternative. Good luck.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Sunken Eyes and Face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You really need more appropriate photos or to have an inperson consultation to assess what can be done to help.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 204 reviews

Midface volume

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Unfortunately your photo is not of much help. In general, I find mid-face lifts to be extremely powerful. The lift adds volume to the cheek area improves the nasolabial fold and help with the hollow under the eyes. Recover is longer, swelling is longer but the results are greater.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery
Nashville, Tennessee

Midface Volume loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your photos. As only a small portion of you face is shown it is difficult to make a thorough evaluation and recommendation.  However I feel that you may benefit from a longer lasting filler such as Juvederm Voluma or Sculptra.

I would suggest an in-person consultation with another dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a reevaluation and discussion of treatment options.

This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care.

Sejal Shah, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Midface volume.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This area often requires bothbgood bone support and soft tissue fullness. So consult a surgeon regarding your underlying bone contour and then also consider soft tissue like a SOOF repositioning. Certainly fillers of certain types do work but they are also dependent on the practitioner so fillers may still be an option for temporary changes.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.