Is It Dangerous Having Multiple Procedures Done Such As in a Mommy Makeover for Example?

I'm going under the knife for a mommy makeover in about 3 weeks and I'm getting a bit paranoid. I know there are certain inherent risks to surgery in general, but are there more involved in this? I'm getting a tummy tuck with lipo on my hips and a breast augmentation. I heard of a woman who died two days post a mommy makeover surgery. Or..is it factors such as obesity, smoking etc, that make it more risky? I'm healthy, young, don't smoke and I'm not overly heavy.

Combined Procedures Such as in a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 
Many procedures can be combined. Cosmetic procedures such as Brazilian Butt Lift (#BBL), Thigh Lift (#TL) and Mommy Makeover (#MMO), which usually concentrates on the breast and abdomen areas, may be combined together. However, I look at the risk factors such as surgery time greater than 6 hours, or #anesthesia time, increased risks of DVT, prolonged  #healing, #positioning after surgery to name a few, which are a lot to consider. These factors are relative to performing any variety of combinations. 
The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation. Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. All surgical #procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Also, another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations.

Very safe

If you are healthy and have been cleared for surgery, a surgery involving multiple procedures is safe. The key is to find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who operates in a fully equipped surgical facility. Deaths from plastic surgery are very, very rare. Make sure you follow your surgeon's pre and post surgery instructions to make it a safer experience for you.

Dangerous Having Multiple Procedures Done?

Thank you for your question. The more health problems you have, the higher your risks, and the healthier you are, the less your risks.  Despite all of this, the risks are still low.  Multiple procedures are common so the small risk of adding procedures is small and will be evaluated by your surgeon as the risk posed. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Combined Procedures

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s).  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Multiple procedures

You are correct that every surgery has risk associated with it.  Multiple procedures can be done safely, but the patient's particular situation must be strongly considered.  You've mentioned some of the contributing risk factors such as smoking and obesity.  A complete review of each patient's medical history and current health status is needed in order to determine whether or not multiple procedures are contraindicated.  If you are nervous about your situation, I encourage you to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  If you are still uncomfortable, staging your procedures can certainly be considered.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Safety with Multiple Procedures

Thanks for a really great question.  The factors you mentions (obesity, smoking, significant medical problem) are more important than having 2 or more procedures done at the same time.  Complications increase with increased time in the Operating Room, and my general rule is that cosmetic procedures should not exceed 5-6 hours.  If a breast augmentation takes 1 hour, lipo 1 hour, and a tummy tuck 2 hours then I am comfortable doing this on young healthy patients.  But I also require tummy tuck patients to stay overnight with a private duty nurse.  My nurses get patients up right away, and closely monitor surgical areas for possible bleeding.  Good luck!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Multiple operations in a mommy makeover are safe in properly selected patients.

There is no general answer to multiple operations performed at one time. As long as a proper combination of procedures tailored to the house the patient is respected there is no problem. But this is a complicated affair.

Mommy Makeover Surgery And Safety Considerations?

Thank you for the good question. Combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However,  it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  

Factors such as selection of plastic surgeon,  exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery,  recovery considerations, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility are all important  considerations.
 Best wishes  for a safe and successful upcoming "mommy makeover".

Safety issues with mommy makeover surgery

You correctly point out the most important risk factors for complications after mommy makeover surgery: smoking and being overweight (BMI >30). Another factor is the length of the surgery. If it can be completed in less than 5-6 hours, it is probably a reasonable plan. This combination is done quite commonly in one session.

Richard Baxter, MD