Botched labiaplasty, can it be revised? (photos)

This has no swelling, and it is healed. I had this done 10 years ago in 2006. I was 15 and my gyno offered it. It has hard lumps, holes, clumps, just miserable to deal with. In between the "clumps" there's not much skin. It's like a zig zag pattern. It's hard to clean, and I'm pretty desperate for help. Is there anyway this can be revised? I haven't been able to find any pictures as severe as mine. The scarring and holes look like I've been butchered.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this

but improvements can be achieved.  See a local experienced surgeon with good judgment to see what options you have as it will depend on what your goals are.  The simpler fix is to 'trim' off the ragged, jagged edges you have but it will make your labia shorter/smaller.   I'm partial to plastic surgeons over gyns like yours.

Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience in Labiaplasty.  This is very important.  Your labiaplasty can be revised as long as you choose the right surgeon.

John G. Hunter, MD

#labiaplasty #plasticsurgery

Hi cantfindone, thank you for your excellent question. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.    Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Irregular labia after labiaplasty

You have at least two issues here as far as I can see: suture effect and skin texture.  I have treated women with both of these specific gynecologic issues for years.  The skin texture promotes a vicious cycle of overgrowth and abnormal texture.  It not only can be corrected surgically, but ongoing maintenance for the long term is needed help to prevent future occurrence, which will happen with that type of skin tissue.  There are also ways of avoiding suture to prevent the scalloping.  Gynecologists may have slightly varying ways to deal with these issues, so bring up these issues and any others with your gynecologist you choose.

Botched labiaplasty

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques.  The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance. I can excise most of your scalloped edges and irregularities with one or multiple wedge excisions and make you look very good.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Botched Labiaplasty, aka, "Avoidable Unintentional Female Genital Mutilation" done by "general Gyne..!!"

You are a poster child for why women should NEVER (!) let their "..friendly local trusted general Gyn" touch their labia! This guy or lady had no idea what they were doing when they just "...cut it off" & then used a "baseball stitch" to close, guaranteeing the mutilated appearance. General Gyns DO NOT get training in cosmetic labial work & they regularly botch! Your outcome is TRULY an "avoidable unintentional female genital mutilation."

Your revision surgery is the only chance you have to get it right. It will cost you slightly more than if you had the right person do it the first time, probably total "out-the-door" between $5500-$10,000. If the charge is significantly less, BEWARE of that surgeon. Truly experienced surgeons are artists, & they don't come cheap. Even if it takes travelling or a plane trip, choose experience! Interview at least 2-3 surgeons, ask to see at least 10 photos of previous experience with revisions, ask questions!  EXPERIENCED SURGEON!  Yes- can be done, and- YES, the wrong person can botch it again... I disagree with other surgeons who seem to intimate that yours will be an "easy" revision. Your revision will need to be CAREFULLY DESIGNED, as you have less tissue on the right than the left. You may need a 2-stage revision, first removing the "humps" and secondarily, after this is all healed. "airbrushing" with an RF needle to get the surface smooth. While it would be nice if a simple curvilinear resection could be done, it is impossible to say without an in-person evaluation. You have a LOT of scarring; a simple edge revision may leave an amputated appearance,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Yes for revision

Based on the photographs you presented, you would be a solid candidate for a revision type procedure, which would remove the scalloped edges and give a more smooth appearance.

Make sure you do your homework and find an experienced surgeon the you feel comfortable with and be very clear on what your final desired look.

Thank you for your additional images and narrative from your previously posted question.  It does appear that you have enough remaining tissue to improve the appearance of each labia by removing the scalloped edges to restore a more natural appearance.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon for an in-depth discussion of your goal results and anticipated improvement opportunity. 

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I am sorry to hear that you have been unhappy with your labiaplasty results. The good news is, that there is enough skin left to perform a revision. It is important that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, preferably one who specializes in labiaplasty, so that you have a skilled surgeon performing your operation and can provide you with optimal results. Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty revision

I am sorry to hear about your experience. You could absolutely undergo a revision with the remaining excess labia. Your exam is essentially very similar to a patient who has not yet undergone labiaplasty, in that there is a significant amount of excess labia present. There may be some challenge to evening out some areas of the tissue. If you view our before and after pictures and labiaplasty procedure, you will see you would benefit from labiaplasty with clitoral hood and posterior fourchette reduction. We have patients who travel from out of state for surgery and have their initial consult remotely. Best of luck.