3 weeks post-op labiaplasty. Is this normal and how it's supposed to look at this point?

Is this normal and how it's supposed to look at this point? I feel as if some parts of skin are not attached. I am worried I will need a revision.

Labia

The tissues remain swollen for quite some time. I would recommend waiting months before looking at them too critically. You even still have sutures that have not dissolved yet.

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months as well, so you may need to be patient for the healing process to continue. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well, and any of these are ways that can help you to alleviate swelling or slight discomfort as healing progresses. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. If you continue to feel any pain or discomfort I would recommend scheduling a live appointment with your surgeon to have the area evaluated for healing progression. I wish you the best and hope all feels well.

3 weeks post-op & I'm worried about appearance

Good news, "neutral news and bad news. The good: you are only 3 weeks and, other than a minor difference in size of the 2 sides, it looks OK. Neutral: It usually takes 5-6 weeks before all is healed and you can get an idea of results ( although it tales a full 3 months for total healing!) The bad news: You unfortunately went to a surgeon who used large caliber very slow-dissolving sutures on you skin. Using 3-0 or 4-0 regular Vicryl (rather than 5-0 Vicryl Rapide, which although much more expensive is less reactive and dissolves in 10-14 days) as so many less experienced surgeons do. As far as "dog ears," your surgeon wisely left tissue "at the top" to avoid injuring the frenular nerve supply. Let all heal and see how things look at 3-4 months post-op. If still an"edge" at the top, perhaps it can be "shaved" later on... The weblink below shows you what may be accomplished in California...

Best,Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Normal

Hi, thanks for your question but You should give them time to heal finished look that goes well with your surgery.

Miriam Luciano, MD
Dominican Republic OB/GYN

Thank you for your question. At only three weeks after surgery, you still have a significant amount of swelling and you are going to have to wait for that to resolve before you can examine your final result. This may take another 3-5 weeks. Even after that resolves, you may still have some areas you are not happy with and that may need revision surgery. Best to stay in touch with your surgeon and follow his or her advice on how to proceed.Best of luck!

Am I healing ok from labiaplasty?

Since you are only three weeks after your surgery I would not worry at this point.  After labiaplastic surgery, swelling occurs for 4 to 8 weeks.  Allow your body to heal and you will see that you will look better.  Don't rush to a revision surgery.  Wait at least six months.

Revision likely

Hello. Looking at your photo there is some good news and maybe bad news. The good news is you are only 3 weeks out from surgery so there will be some improvement in the look as you continue to heal. I see you are still swollen. The bad news is depending on how you feel with your final look, you will likely need a revision. It does appear you will have a bumpy unnatural look to your labia. The trim technique is a great technique but needs to be done by very experienced expert hands. I use the trim method but I am very conscious of the importance of making the incision so that the final result has the right flow. This can be fixed in export hands. Best wishes~Dr Poucher

You will need a revision

Thank you for your post with photo that shows labial asymmetry and irregularity. Although, you are only 3 weeks postop, I'm quite certain your results won't appear natural and aesthetically pleasing. See link below for information of Revision Labiaplasty.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon. 

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

3 weeks postop labiaplasty. Is this normal?

Based on your photo, you had a trim method labiaplasty. I often see patients who had this method present with the same problem that you already noticed. Many surgeons, especially the novice or poorly trained surgeon, does not know how to deal with this anatomical confluence of the labia and the clitoral hood. This technique also leads to more prolonged swelling as opposed to the wedge resection technique. You need to wait until all the swelling resolvesbefore considering a revision. Since your surgeon did not recognize this and was not part of his/her surgical plan. I would suggest a second opinion from a well experienced surgeon in female genital surgery. Good luck.