Can i go on a 20day water fast before getting a tummy tuck?

I binged and gained 30 pounds in 8 days which is mostly water weight but im gettin a tummy tuck on 16th of june. So do you think i can go on a water fast and be able to get the surgery if i eat nutritious meals couple of days before the surgery? Im 19 and physically healthy just wanna know if the water fast is gonna affect my surgery

Fasting is not recommended

Thank you for your enquiry.   I would suggest that you would not be in an ideal condition to have your surgery and should discuss your problem with your plastic surgeon.  Going to Greece after an abdominoplasty may have a number of disadvantages in that flying at high altitude may predispose you to haematoma or seroma and being out in the sun with plenty of activity in Greece again may not be good for your recovery.  I suggest you discussall of the above with your plastic surgeon before proceeding.

Fasting prior to Surgery

I don't recommend fasting prior to surgery. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about ways to be healthy and stable before your surgery in order to ensure safety and optimal results.

All the best

I would not recommend a water fast prior to surgery.

You want to maximize your nutrition before any surgical procedure so that you can heal properly. A fast will leave you nutritoinally depleted and may actually compromise your final result.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon