Why is my right breast sore and harder than my left one?

Hi I had breast augmentation 9 months ago and my right breast seems harder than my left. Its also a little sore. I am not in pain. Should I be worried? I would be grateful for any help or advice, Thank you so much x

Schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon

At 9 months after breast augmentation, your breasts shouldn’t be sore. By now the implants should have settled and feel soft to the touch. The firmness you are experiencing could be an early sign of capsular contracture. You should schedule a follow-up appointment with your plastic surgeon. Be sure to note when the soreness and firmness developed and any changes in your breast prior to the appointment. If you have any other questions and concerns about your breast augmentation, start a list to help you remember everything and make the most out of your appointment.

Hardness and discomfort nine months after breast augmentation

You should arrange a review with your plastic surgeon to determine the cause of your discomfort.  Many factors could be causing your discomfort.  Have you done anything unusual or changed your level of activity?  Its also possible that you are experiencing capsular contracture so a review is essential to rule out any concerns.

Recovery after an augmentation

Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of augmentation you had and if the same thing was done on both sides. Sometimes increased activity with one arm more than the other can lead to unmasking new pain. If the breast looks different and feels differnt is it is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. Best of luck, MMT

Firm breast 9 months post op

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry that you are having soreness and firmness in your breast. At this point, both of your breasts should be settled and soft. What you are experiencing could be a sign of capsular contracture. I suggest that you follow-up with your plastic surgeon with an in person exam.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Uneven firmness

In this time frame, your breasts are becoming uneven as far as there firmness, you should return to see your plastic surgeon. This can be a sign of capsular contracture. Any breast implant is going to form a scar around it which normally is soft and pliable. In some cases, that scar capsule can become firm, contracting, and constricting. In worst case scenario is this can mean a surgical revision to dissect and loosen that scar. There are other options such as massage and potentially, medications to lessen this. Your first step is to visit with your surgeon to determine if this is actually the case.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Firm

Hello, I would recommend returning to your plastic surgeon so that they can evaluate you and give more specific advice. Potentially things could be capsular contracture, subclinical infection, fluid or blood around the implant, or nothing as you could have overdone some activities and have muscle soreness and maybe mild swelling. Follow up with your PS. 

Breast Implant Hardness and Soreness

Sorry to hear you're experiencing hardness and pain in one of your breasts. At this point, both breasts should be soft - if the implant feels more firm, and you're having some soreness, you may be in the early stages of capsular contracture. This is a process where the capsule that forms around the implant becomes more firm and gradually tightens - there are various stages based on a patient's symptoms. The most mild form is some general firmness and tightness; the most severe form is where the breast is constantly painful and distorted. Usually, it is a progressive process, and most times it needs to be corrected surgically - by excising the capsule and replacing the implant. Your best bet is to visit with your Plastic Surgeon and to make sure that this process isn't happening. Or, if it is, to make sure you nip it in the bud sooner rather than later. Best of luck! 

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately without a series of photographs or more details of your symptoms it is difficult to offer advice.  By nine months most of your breast augmentation pain should have resolved and it would be important to rule out other causes such as a capsular contracture that may also be contributing to your breast hardness.  It would also be useful to know if these symptoms have recently developed or been present since surgery.  See your plastic surgeon in consultation, they are your best resource since they know how your recovery has been up until this point.