Latisse used for two years - then ceased to work the same and lashes became sparse, brittle, and uneven. Why would this happen?!

My lashes were incredible for two years. Long, thick, dark, full, shiny! These lashes were so gorgeous I never needed mascara and strangers would stop me to comment! Then my lashes stopped growing the same- out of nowhere! They became sparse, brittle, light brown, and very uneven. When a couple lashes fell out there would be a gaping bald spot for weeks. I stopped and waited a year to try again. Latisse didn't come close to working the same as it did the first time. Why is this and what else can I use?

Eyelash loss in women

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Surprisingly, there are many reasons for eyelash loss. Certainly stopping Latisse will trigger a return back to baseline. But what are the other possibilities? Well, there are many. I'd suggest you meet with a dermatologist specializing in hair loss to review these causes. A variety of eczemas, inflammatory and autoimmune conditions can lead to eyelash loss.

Depending on what the dermatologist says, you might consider seeing an eye doctor as well. A variety of eye conditions (blepharitis, infections, rosacea, certain eye drops) can lead to eyelash loss.

Vancouver Dermatologist

Possible Latisse Side-Effects

Hi there and thank you for the inquiry.

There are many factors that could have contributed to your sudden eyelash hair loss. I suggest going in for an in-person evaluation to your dermatologist to rule out any skin-related issues, followed up by a visit to your ophthalmologist for a comprehensive assessment of your eyes to determine the possible cause of your eyelash loss. In the meantime, I recommend discontinuing eyelash enhancing products for now until you receive some feedback from your specialists. 

Good luck! 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting Luscious Lashes--PRP, Viviscal, Latisse

In order to maintain the results you achieved initially with Latisse, you would have needed to continue to use it weekly, because of the natural shedding of eyelashes. In combination with Latisse, I typically inject and apply topically PRP for a few treatments at the beginning to improve the growth rate of the lashes. Take viviscal as well.  Best, Dr. Emer