Why must Latisse be used only at night?

Can anyone tell me why RapidLash, Careprost, Latisse, etc, must be used at night? Is it simply to avoid interaction with make-up? I find that if I use it at night, it just gets wiped off on my pillow case. Thank you!

Latisse application

It is advised to apply Latisse at night after cleansing and before going to sleep so that it can improve effectiveness. Also it is suggested you do not wash your face or eyes for a few hours after the application of Latisse, and so that is another good reason to apply it before going to sleep. This is the manufacturer’s instructions, Latisse should be used during the night time. 

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Question regarding Latisse application timing

Hello MaxLola1,

Thank you for your question regarding the suggested time to apply your Latisse. 

You're correct, the product is suggested to be applied at bedtime to ensure the area is clean and free of makeup. That said, if you're not planning on wearing makeup that day, the product may be applied at any time. If you wear contact lenses it is best to wait 15 minutes after you apply the Latisse before putting the lenses in your eyes. Also, while very infrequent, avoid any product getting in your eye as Latisse has the potential to cause increased brown iris pigmentation of the colored part of the eye which is likely to be permanent. You may want to ask your doctor for complete application instructions. 

Kind regards,

Dr. Richard J. Dittrich DO, MBA, FACOG

Richard Dittrich, DO, FACOG
Philadelphia OB/GYN

Why must Latisse be used only at night?

Thank you for your question! Latisse can be applied in the morning if you prefer that! It is all a matter of when it works for you. You are still at risk for the same issues in the day time as at night (i.e. itchy eyes, rubbing, irritation). Since Allergan does recommend to apply it at night, I would say to keep with the manufacturer’s recommendation. You will see the ultimate benefit at night since you are not blinking and there is no chance for makeup to get in the way.

Krishna Dash, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Latisse application

Hii MaxLola1.  The manufacturer recommends waiting after applying Latisse before putting in contacts-so that may be another reason to apply Latisse before bedtime.  It usually takes about 15 minutes to absorb, so that may help avoid wiping it off onto a pillowcase.

Night only

I can't think of a medical reason why Latisse should NOT be applied in the AM.  I suppose it is because women like to apply eyeliner in the AM, but take it off in the PM before bed allowing better absorption of the Latisse.  Or perhaps the eyelids being closed during sleep promotes absorption.

Guy Cappuccino, MD
Mount Airy Plastic Surgeon

Latisse can be used morning or evening

There is no medical reason to use Latisse only at night. The use of Latisse followed by eyeliner or mascara could possibly dilute its effectiveness. It's also possible that you would have less effect to the lower lids if used in the morning. If it is your preference to use Latisse in the morning, do so, and see for yourself if it is as effective.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse at night- why

At night, the eyes are closed and medications applied to the upper lid can promote growth in the lower lid as well.

If Latisse or other similar products are only applied during the day to the upper lid, one might find they have long upper lashes with the lower lashes unchanged.