Why must Latisse be used only at night?

Can anyone tell me why RapidLash, Careprost, Latisse, etc, must be used at night? Is it simply to avoid interaction with make-up? I find that if I use it at night, it just gets wiped off on my pillow case. Thank you!

Why must Latisse be used only at night?

Thank you for your question! Latisse can be applied in the morning if you prefer that! It is all a matter of when it works for you. You are still at risk for the same issues in the day time as at night (i.e. itchy eyes, rubbing, irritation). Since Allergan does recommend to apply it at night, I would say to keep with the manufacturer’s recommendation. You will see the ultimate benefit at night since you are not blinking and there is no chance for makeup to get in the way.

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Latisse application

Hii MaxLola1.  The manufacturer recommends waiting after applying Latisse before putting in contacts-so that may be another reason to apply Latisse before bedtime.  It usually takes about 15 minutes to absorb, so that may help avoid wiping it off onto a pillowcase.

Night only

I can't think of a medical reason why Latisse should NOT be applied in the AM.  I suppose it is because women like to apply eyeliner in the AM, but take it off in the PM before bed allowing better absorption of the Latisse.  Or perhaps the eyelids being closed during sleep promotes absorption.

Guy Cappuccino, MD
Mount Airy Plastic Surgeon

Latisse can be used morning or evening

There is no medical reason to use Latisse only at night. The use of Latisse followed by eyeliner or mascara could possibly dilute its effectiveness. It's also possible that you would have less effect to the lower lids if used in the morning. If it is your preference to use Latisse in the morning, do so, and see for yourself if it is as effective.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse at night- why

At night, the eyes are closed and medications applied to the upper lid can promote growth in the lower lid as well.

If Latisse or other similar products are only applied during the day to the upper lid, one might find they have long upper lashes with the lower lashes unchanged.