TT scar opening; advice on wound care? 4 weeks post-op (Photos)

I had a suture reaction pop up about a week ago right under my incision. Didn't really have any problems until yesterday when I discovered I had a spot open to a hole. Went to PS today and his nurse assured me it would heal fine on its own and said gauze with vasaline or manuka honey. Im really worried about it, though. Seems there are more spots opening. What should I expect? Will this get much worse? Could this potentially turn into an emergency situation? Anything I can do?

Don't worry; moist wounds heal

Suture reactions are common.  Keeping it moist with a dressing in place changed once or twice a day.  Medihoney is a great products as is Anasept gel.  Silvadene and some of the antibiotic ointments have been shown to retard healing.  It will all in from the inside out.  Periodic mechanical or sharp debridement by your PS will also facilitate healing.  The scar may be a hair wider but can always be revised.

Wound under my incision is opening up. How should it be treated.

Your picture reveals a wound care issue in which several of the dissolving sutures mayj have caused some localized wound breakdown areas.  These localized breakdown areas would require thorough washing and wound care, antibiotics systemically and possibly locally in the form. Of antibiotic ointment.  Perhaps local debridement of the retained sutures and excision of the minor wound openings may be necessary.

I would ask the opinion of your Plastic Surgeon, not that of the nurse, even if she is  a highly trained nurse in Plastic Surgery

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Please insist on seeing your plastic surgeon.

Please insist on seeing your plastic surgeon. There may be a role for topical antibiotic cream. Your surgeon is best to evaluate and treat, with all due respect to his nurse.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon