Can juvederm cause hard lip edges? (Photo)

Hi, I got juvederm in my lips 3 days ago and now I have a hard line/ridge where my lips meet the skin (vermillion border), it appears to be very stiff and I can't pucker them easily, almost like its gone very hard where I would put lip liner. It also seems to be affecting the way I talk slightly. Is this normal and will it go away in a week or so or am I stuck like this? Should I massage it?

Uneven Lip Filler Easily Resolves!

My best advise to patients after lip augmentation, is that you will LOVE the look best in 2 weeks. By then the swelling will subside and any unevenness can be gently massaged and mobilized. If Juvederm "travels" in the mid -lip, it can be smoothed but is best done by the provider. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. It will resolve regardless!

San Juan Capistrano Physician

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

2 weeks post injection

Thank you for your photo and question. Some swelling and hardness is very normal at this stage. This should subside and final results can be seen after about 2 weeks post injection. Cold compress and gentle massages to the injected areas may help. Be sure to have regular follow up appointments with your board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation with Juvederm

I would suggest waiting at least two weeks before determining final outcome. Please consult with an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Filler in lips

Fillers in the lips can cause a firmness if not massaged. You are also likely pretty swollen and it may take a week or so to settle.

Juvederm softens

This will soften in a month or so and you will be fine.   No reason to panic but do visit your Juvederm idoctor You will be fine.  My Best,  Dr Commons

Can juvederm cause hard lip edges?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  If Juvederm was directly placed into your vermillion border it would be normal to experience some ridging along this area as a result of the material.  This will soften as your results mature over the next two weeks.  Hang in there!

Ridging after Juvederm

Thank you for your question. The good news is, you should see some improvement over the next couple of days. Whenever a filler is placed - especially in the lips - there can be some firmness and nodularity. This is more prominent is the product is placed somewhat linearly (one continuous injection) and more superficially. NSAIDS (Motrin or Aleeve) may help with the swelling, as well as time. Icing at this point will probably not help too much. If, in a week or two, you are still concerned, you can likely start a gentle massage to the area to help soften the product. If, after this, you are still concerned, I would suggest going back to your injector for an additional evaluation. Best of luck! 

Final Result After Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Gentle massage may be beneficial.  My best advice would be to give it a full 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

Hard lip following injection of Juvederm

Thank you for sharing your question and photo. You are swollen, but fortunately this should subside in a few days. Massage and application of cold compresses can hasten recovery. 
Good luck,