Puffy pouches below lower lip after fillers. Any suggestions? (photos)

I recently had 1ml of juvederm between both lips. I had a small amount of swelling, just a bruised lump on my lower lip. 6 days on my bottom lip is still sore and I have what can only be described as pouches below my lower lip.They weren't this obvious straight after the procedure, I did have these when my lips were thin but never to this extreme. Is it still swollen? Thanks

Swelling is likely the culprit.

Unlike BOTOX® which can take weeks to take full effect, how your lips will look with fillers is fairly evident right after injection. So, if you were happy with how your lips looked right after treatment, I’m inclined to believe that the lumps you’re describing are due to swelling and will dissipate over time. Some people bruise and swell more than others, so there’s no way to know for sure when you can expect the swelling to be gone. However, you can generally count on seeing the final results, with no swelling, about 2 weeks after treatment. In the meantime, try ice packs and stay well hydrated to expedite this process. If you’re still unhappy after 2 weeks, schedule a follow-up with your injector to discuss your options. 

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Lips and Swelling

I would wait two weeks to evaluate the full results since most products such as Juvederm cause swelling which will go away with some time.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling After Fillers, Wait 2 weeks and Reverse If Unhappy

If you are unhappy with your fillers you can reverse them as long as they were HA type fillers. I suggest speaking to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm Swelling

Hi Joanna, you probably still have some swelling after the procedure, that's common for up to 2-3 weeks post lip injection. I would wait for at least another week and then post updated pics here so we could take a look. So far nothing is looking out of the ordinary.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Bad results with Juvederm?

Thank you for sharing your question and posting your photos. You are likely to be swollen 6 days following the injection of filler into your lips. Wait another week to give final judgement. Cold compresses and Arnica might be of some value in healing. 
Good luck,

Final Result After Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  My best advice would be to give it a full 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

Swelling after Juvederm

Hello Joannag12,

You may still have some swelling. Swelling can last up to two weeks. I would wait the two week period. If you are still not happy with your results you can schedule to consult with your provider and have the product dissolved with hyaluronidase. Best to you, Dr Faraz