Is it normal to be an emotional wreck after surgery?

so today is my 3rd day post op for my abdominoplasty you since I got home from the hospital I've been so emotional it's like PMS from hell - 2. I now that my boyfriend I don't have any patience and so emotional I like cry at the drop of a dying I don't know what's going on and I don't know if they see normal

Feeling emotional after surgery is very normal

Do a quick online search for “post surgery blues” and you’ll find you’re far from alone in feeling emotional after getting surgery. This applies not only to plastic surgery, but all types of surgical procedures. You may be experiencing a wide range of emotions, including frustration at your limited mobility and stressed that you’re looking at swelling and stitches instead of a beautiful final result. You might even be wondering if you made the right choice in getting a tummy tuck at all. All of these emotions are completely normal reactions. Hang in there, give yourself a break and just take it easy. Give your body the time you need to rest and heal, and know that these feelings will soon pass.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Emotional Depression after surgery

Hang in there. It is very common for patients to be emotional after surgery. You just spent a lot of money, you don't feel good and the result is not there yet. Many patients ask, 'what have I done?!"  Add in that the natural stress hormones produced by your body drop out at day 3 to 5 and you have the perfect formula for feeling very depressed and teary. (Stress hormones are steroids like predisone and can elevate mood. Ask any one how they felt after they stopped predinose and they will tell you they got a rebound depression for a few days) Don't worry.You're just having a normal response to surgical stress.  It will go away in a few days. Have someone go out and buy you some flowers. You deserve it and you will feel better in a few days.

Donald W. Hause, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is not uncommon to feel depressed and or emotionally labile after cosmetic surgery.  Not everyone experiences it. The incidence is 1 out 5. This will go away in almost everyone within the first month . It is a grief reaction based in a perception of doe anatomic loss-- loosing the big nose, loosing the lower roll, loosing the small breast, etc... Provided there was no major pre-operative psychological issues- this should subside. If however, a patient is under psychological care then it might be a good idea - to reconnect with that healthcare provider.

Post-operative emotional swings are a normal part of plastic surgery

First off, I’m sorry to hear that you’re having a difficult time after your tummy tuck. Many people don’t realize that getting plastic surgery is a very emotional process. Some patients feel a post-surgical depression similar to post-partum depression when they conceptualize the surgery as having lost a part of themselves. Also keep in mind that the effects of anesthesia combined with any pain medications you’re taking can affect your mental chemistry. Normally, any negative emotional feelings after surgery go away within the first week or two. However, if you continue to struggle emotionally, or if you have a history of emotional or psychological imbalance, I recommend talking to a healthcare provider.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Emotional after tummy tuck surgery

You have been through a surgical procedure and the associated stress in the lead up to surgery so its not uncommon to feel emotional now that the procedure is behind you.  Its should pass quickly as you move through your post operative recovery and gain more mobility.  Let your surgeon know how you are feeling at your next review.

Postoperative emotional rollercoaster

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty with your emotions in your post operative course. Actually, this is quite normal. There have been several studies that look at surgery as a significant psychological stressor and that there is a predictable emotional recovery that occurs. This is often not stressed in initial consultations, but many many patients have experienced what you are going through. The good news is that most patients improve significantly, are happy with their results and the emotional rollercoaster is just temporary.

Rachel Streu, MD

I'm sorry to hear about the tough time you are having after your surgery.
You should be aware that it is not unusual for patients to undergo significant emotional “ups and downs” after any type of surgery. Surgery of any kind carries a significant amount of stress with it; again, it is not unusual to see patients undergo “post operative depression” that generally resolves after a few weeks. The surgical related stress may be compounded/increased if there are other significant stressors occurring in your life at this point.
I would suggest that you communicate your experience with your plastic surgeon who knows you and your situation best and may be able to provide specific guidance, depending on the specific “stressors” that may be present in your life. If necessary, counseling may also be helpful.

Emotions after Cosmetic Surgery

It is not uncommon to have emotions after cosmetic surgery.  This will subside with time.  Follow up with your surgeon for the reassurance that you are doing fine.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD