Should I still have lumps in my lips 8 days after Juvederm injections? (Photo)

I had 1ml of juvederm ultra injected into my lips 8 days ago and they are still lumpy and uneven, if I try to wear any lipstick it only highlights the problem. The lady who done the injection is going to massage my lips tommorow and says this should solve the problem, is this right?

Lumps from Juvederm

The lumps in the lips may smooth out over time or from gentle massage. You may need a small amount of Vitrase injected into the areas to help dissolve the product.  Best, Dr. Green

Bumps in lips following Juvederm injections

Thank you for sharing your problem. Massaging the bumps in your lips might smooth them out. If this is not successful, Hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the Juvederm. Make sure you are being treated by an experienced board-certified physician. Good luck.

Juvederm Lip Lumps/Bumps Treatment

Thanks for your question. Massage for filler lumps or bumps works best when done immediately after injection. After 8 days, with a Juvederm bump, I would recommend a small quantity of hyaluronidase (Vitrase) carefully injected into the visible bump(s). This dissolves visible Juvederm for a smoother appearance. Ask your doctor about this option for correction. 

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Lumps following Juvederm lip injection

It would be important to know how much Juvederm you had injected, whether it was Juvederm Ultra or Juvederm Ultra Plus and the technique that it was injected with. I would recommend following up with your provider to assess your specific situation. However, I always advise patients that after Juvederm in the lips you may feel firmness or small "lumps" during the first 1-2 weeks. At that point the Juvederm softens and any "lumps" typically go away. Massaging the lips 8 days after injection may be somewhat helpful, however, any persistant lumps can be dissolved with hyaluronidase if necessary. 

Allison Pontius, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon