How Much Does FUE Hair Transplant Cost?

How much does the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method of hair transplant cost?

FUE Hair Transplant Cost

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Charging "By the Graft" is a Technique to Distract You; Here are the Facts:
Every day many people call our office with one single question: how much do you charge per graft? To a serious, dedicated hair restoration surgery practice, this is simply an impossible question to answer. This is due to the complexity of a hair restoration procedure, and the inherent variability of the intrinsic physical and physiological factors of each individual patient. While I am very aware that many practices in this field, both corporate and private, charge "by-the-graft," I feel this makes as much sense as charging "by the valve" when performing valve replacement surgery on a patient's heart, or charging "by the cc" when performing a breast enhancement procedure.

Make no mistake: charging hair restoration patients "by-the-graft" is the invention of the business man, not the physician.

For example, when considering a rhinoplasty (e.g.: nose job), a patient will most often interview one or more surgeons to find the one they feel the most comfortable with, as the public recognizes that nasal surgery is difficult and the results are often permanent. Frequently in choosing a surgeon for rhinoplasty, a patient will strongly consider the surgeon's training, experience, and how often the surgeon performs the procedure. After selecting the surgeon and meeting with him or her to discuss their wishes, and after the surgeon assesses the complexity of the proposed nasal surgery, a patient will typically receive a statement with "surgery fees" and "anesthesia/facility fees." Note that plastic surgeons who perform rhinoplasty surgery do NOT charge by the length of nose, they charge by the complexity of surgery. Most patients do not see a billboard saying "Season Special $1,000 per nostril rhinoplasty, minimum 2 nostrils, at Nose Jobs R Us." One simply cannot respond to a billboard ad and feel good about nasal surgery results.

Hair restoration is no different than any other permanent facial plastic surgical procedure, such as rhinoplasty or a facelift. Like a rhinoplasty, the procedure is difficult to perform when done well, and the results are permanent. The results are directly dependent on the skill, training, and experience of the surgeon, and the quality, experience, and talent of the technicians who will work with the hair follicles. I deeply respect hair restoration for what it is: a highly-complex surgical procedure involving not just myself, but my experienced team of full-time surgical technicians that brings unbelievable joy to men and women who suffer from hair loss. It is NOT a "plug-and-play" product that is the same anywhere you go as long as the "graft number" remains constant. This makes as much sense as saying every single automobile in the world is exactly the same provided they all have "4 tires." In hair restoration, there are hundreds of subtleties and nuances that vary from person to person. It is a procedure that brings my patients a great deal of happiness; it restores their confidence, sense of youth and well-being. It is a procedure that simply cannot be boiled down to a "per-the-graft" pricing.

The bottom line is that getting the patient involved in the details of the surgery, and negotiating the number of hairs to be surgically relocated, is really just to distract you from the more important things that some medical practices would rather you not think about, such as the experience, background, and training of the actual surgeon (or non-surgeon, or even non-physician, as is very often the case) who will be doing your hair restoration surgery.  In many States, including Georgia, the physician need only sign the papers on he case; his or her presence is not even required in the room at all.  There are so many hair restoration surgery clinics having non-medically trained people perform surgery that the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery issued a formal CONSUMER ALERT, which can be read in the link below.

Dr. Pramit Malhotra of Ann Arbor, Michigan warns "Rhinoplasty is a procedure not to pick on price." I strongly feel the same way about hair restoration; a permanent procedure that can be done in hundreds of different ways, by physicians and surgeons of widely varying backgrounds, from internal medicine to dermatology to anesthesiology. Remember that all types of physicians, even those without any ABMS-recognized board certificate or formal surgery training at all, may call themselves hair restoration "surgeons" in the USA.

Price of FUE

Price per graft are really just estimates.  The costs range from manual FUE, automated FUE (NeoGraft), and robotic (Artas) but generally fall between 5 and 7 dollars a graft.  Anything less than that you will want to know what corners may be cut.  Less experienced techs?  Not a plastic surgeon?  Not an experienced hair transplant doc?  Likewise, anything over $7 dollars a graft is equally something to question.

While it is a cliché to say "you get what you pay for", this couldn't be any more accurate when it comes to elective cosmetic procedures.   For brows or beard transplants the transplant costs may be more, but for scalp, I'd consider the $5 or $6 to $7 quotes as the standard.

FUE cost

As with any cosmetic medical therapy, cost is only one factor to consider.  Doctor
qualifications/expertise/reputation,safety provisions, individual attention, and results are all important considerations.  In my practice, comprehensive hair restorations includes vitamin/medical management, hair productions, and intense light therapy (6 months) in the price, so you really are NOT paying per graft.   Nevertheless, the price of hair restoration therapy with FUE usually runs from $5500 to well over $10,000.

Cost of FUE

Consider non surgical methods such as Rogaine for now. There are many methods of hair transplantation.  Wanted them RFUE and another can be a surgical flap.  Grafts can be taken with as few as one hair follicle or multiple follicles.  The quality of the hair, the number of follicles per unit and the location in which the hair is to be placed are all important determinants in the final result.  While it is a common misconception that hair can and should be taken from any location, taking appropriate hair from an appropriate location is key to success.  For instance, one cannot always use hair from a beard to replace a frontal hairline.  The orientation in which Harris placed is also important.  If the frontal hairline is being created then it is important to make sure that hairs are aligned in the correct orientation.  The way the hair is also laid down, for example a staggered pattern versus a straight line will also change the quality of the result.  You should certainly visit with a surgeon who does many of these types of transplantations as well as offers multiple options for hair restoration.  The cost can vary by geographic locale.  In general they can arrange from $7000-$25,000.  When you go over consultation ask for before and after photographs.

Cost of FUE

The cost can vary but we tend to charge between 6-8$ per FUE and between 3-4 for strip grafts. I think patients should focus on the talent and experience of the surgeon more than the cost as the results are dependent on the doctors experience.

FUE cost

The cost follicular unit extractiion (FUE) is typically almost double the cost of the FUT procedure.  This is because the process of FUE is much more labor intensive for the provider.  Recently, due to some technological innovations the price per graft is coming down as well as the speed at which the grafts can be harvested.  This allows the price to come down.  FUE costs vary by area but can range from 4.80 graft to 7 dollar depending on how many total grafts you need.

Of course, you should do your due diligence in picking a skilled provider.

Depends on pricing structure, device, surgeon

I charge by the area (small, medium, and large) which can range from $4000 - $15000. I prefer this pricing strategy because my goal of the procedure is to provide appropriate coverage of the area rather than chasing a “number”. Depending on the quality of the grafts, the quoted number of grafts may be too many or too little. As a hair transplant surgeon, I make the goal of my procedures to be the best outcome for my patient rather than an arbitrary number of grafts.

The type of FUE device (neograft, punch, ARTAS) carries different costs as well. The ARTAS robotic procedure is slightly more expensive because the cost of the robot is factored into the cost of the procedure. The advantage of the robot is the ability to efficiently and accurately perform a FUE procedure with a published transection rate at 5%. The increased ARTAS cost, therefore, is offset by the better graft survival. - Dr. Keaney
.

Terrence Keaney, MD
Arlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Cost of FUE Transplant

Any type of hair transplant totally depends on the number of hair transplants being performed.  Typically less grafts can be transplanted using the FUE method at any single session.

Jack Fisher, MD

Cost of hair transplant

There isn't a set price for hair transplant, as your overall cost estimate will depend on the number of grafts required, skill / experience level of the surgeon and hospital infrastructure.

The average cost of a hair transplant in starts from ₹1,30,000 ( $2,000 approx) and further depends on how many grafts are required and the cost per graft.

Likewise the cost of an average facial hair transplant can start from ₹80,000 ( $1,250 approx ) and this also depends on number of grafts required.

Cost varies

It's hard to get a specific answer to this question, as the price per graft varies, the numbers of graft per treatment vary, and the numbers of treatments needed for each patient vary. That being said, let's see if we can help give you a concrete answer to this question.

Most places charge per graft transferred, and the general price range for experienced techs, modern technology, and a comfortable set up is in the vicinity of $5-$7/graft. There's obviously some regional variance in pricing. The average person has about 6000-10,000 grafts available to transplant by the FUE method in their lifetime, with approximately 2000 grafts (1500-2500) averaged per session. Most people will need 2 or 3 total sessions to correct their hair loss.

So a good amount to budget is approximately $10,000-$14,000 per session. It take a full year to realize the results after hair transplantation, but as you save money for the procedure, be fully aware that you'll likely require additional procedures further on down the road.

Hope this helps! Sam Jejurikar, MD