Is rapid recovery breast augmentation more expensive than a traditional augmentation? And is placement under the muscle?

I'm a registered nurse and interested in getting breast implants. I won't be able to take a lot of time off and my job requires physical work (some lifting and pulling) so I've been researching rapid recovery breast augmentation (silicone). Is this procedure more expensive than a traditional augmentation? And is it performed under the muscle?

Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation

Although it is used as a marketing term, it is very much a series of steps that are potentially very different from some (most) surgeon's techniques.  There are NOT multiple ways of performing it, as stated by one of my esteemed colleagues. 

It begins with a strong emphasis on patient education, mostly to let them know that they won't be going from an A cup to a D cup.  Next is biodimensional analysis to determine optimum implant size. Next is the surgery through an inframammary incision using only electrocautery dissection to minimize collateral damage. No sizers are ever used, but instead the implants are placed, ideally with a funnel. Adjustments are made if necessary, once again using only electrocautery, and the incisions are closed.  Surgery is typically 25 minutes.  Motrin and arm stretching exercises are begun with in 2 hours after surgery, and most people are doing all activities of daily living within 1 to 3 days. 

I tell my RN's to get a 'little help from their friends' during the first week back, and most do very well after a week recovery. I've had an occasional nurse take the weekend off only.

Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry, being a nurse can be a very physically demand job.  It also can be a mentally taxing one as well.  I have had the opportunity to operate on countless nurses over the past two decades and getting back to work feeling safe in performing your duties is always a high priority. But, getting a result that aesthetically pleasing and durable result is an equally important one. There are a few things like implant selection, position, and the sutures and dressings that surgeons use that may speed or slow a recovery;  but ultimately your own body completes the healing process.  Meet with surgeons whose work you like the most.  

Unfortunately, the term "rapid recovery" is not a type of surgery, it is nothing more than a sales gimmick term. Because of your responsibilities to your patients you should not attempt to return to any form of work that requires lifting of patients or the possible need for emergency care such as CPR before a week postop. Even than it will be important your coworkers are ready to step in should you be unable to react to certain situations. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation

Rapid recovery is a marketing tool. In my opinion, as long as there is minimal to no bleeding during the procedure and  the periostium on the rib cage isn't traumatized, then recovery is often easier.

Rapid recovery breast augmentation

This is a great question! Every breast augmentation I perform is a "rapid recovery" surgery. I do not charge extra so that you can recover faster. No surgeon should charge you extra for fast recovery. However, the surgical techniques used to allow patients to recovery quickly after surgery are advanced techniques and can only be performed by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. You should find a very experience plastic surgeon to perform your breast augmentation and you will have a quick and safe recovery. Check out my tips to getting the best breast augmentation results below!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation

In large part a marketing term. Surgery should be done precisely and as atraumatically as possible.  The best thing to do is speak to a few patients who have had surgery by the PS you like and see what their experience was. Keep in mind we all deal with pain differently. Most of my patients - if they have surgery on Thursday are back to work on Monday. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rapid Recovery Breast Aug

Rapid recovery breast augmentation is nothing more than a marketing gimmick term. Every board certified plastic surgeon is going to use his or her experience over the years to develop a technique of specific steps to try to give you the quickest recovery. Specifically this means no bleeding by using cautery. The skill of the surgeon allows effortless dissection through the various muscle planes specifically under the pec major muscle so that the surgery is moved along expeditiously without long anesthetic. We determine the implant size with the patient’s input before we ever go back to surgery. This is done during the consultation and has been extraordinarily successful in that we just do not have patients complaining “I should have gone bigger” or “I should have gone smaller”. All of these as well as all measures necessary to prevent capsular contracture are employed and yield a surgery time typically of 35-40 minutes in our center.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Rapid recovery breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  "Rapid recovery breast augmentation" is a marketing / gimmick term and not a specified surgical procedure.  In general, patients typically should hold off on any strenuous activity or heavy lifting for 3 weeks after surgery.  Most breast augmentations are performed under the muscle in a dual plane with either silicone or saline implants.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Rapid recovery breast augmentation

No heavy lifting or exercise for three weeks after surgery. Your recovery from my typical breast augmentation is about 5 days minimum till you get back to work with no lifting.

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Rapid recovery after BA

Thanks for your question.  Rapid recovery after breast augmentation is not new.  Also it doesn't cost extra.  Every surgeon has their own protocol for rapid recovery and please select a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  You can include this question with your list of questions during the consultation. Best of luck.