I have a straight smile, but my front two teeth are protruding outwards. What are my options? (Photo)

I had braces for about 2 years when I was younger, (now in my twenties) but my teeth have shifted due to failure on my part in not wearing my retainer consistently. An orthodontist I spoke to recommended extracting 4 teeth (2 upper, 2 lower) in a process that would take ≈ 2 years. I really do not want to repeat the entire procedure again just to push back two teeth. Are there any other options to re-align them? Could installing braces only on my upper row work? Thank-you so much.

Protruding front teeth

Hi, zainabv! Thanks for your question and photos!

The key to most medical treatment is 1) identify exactly what the patient wants 2) identify the cause of the problem and diagnose 3) develop a treatment plan which specifically treats the condition.

If your main concern is that your teeth are "protruding outward" then I must agree with the orthodontist's treatment plan. There is no better, more reliable or scientifically substantiated treatment for protruding teeth than posterior tooth extraction.

However, if your concern is more along the lines of "I want my teeth to get straighter and come back a little" then extractions may not be necessary. There are other treatments available to develop space to help get that ideal smile back!

Please review all your treatment options with your orthodontist making sure that your primary concern is clearly understood. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the results!

Best, Dr. Schofield

Irving Orthodontist

Extract Four Teeth to Restraighten Teeth?

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY DO NOT extract any teeth. Your smile is stunningly gorgeous. If you were to extract four healthy teeth you would completely ruin your smile and negatively affect your face forever. All you need is a LITTLE additional room to straighten your teeth. If you were to extract four teeth you would end up with WAY TOO MUCH SPACE. You would have to collapse your upper front teeth and both of your dental arches to close the extra space. PLEASE DO NOT extract any teeth.

You could easily create a little space by developing your dental arches if the doctor believes extra space is needed. This is done easily and comfortably with a simple, removable dental arch development appliance. 

RUN from any doctor recommending extractions and find a doctor who understands epigenetic orthodontics.

Good luck! You really do have a GORGEOUS smile.