Is breast augmentation recovery worse in the colder months?

I'm worried that if I choose to have a breast augmentation in the winter the cold weather will cause me to tense my chest muscles and cause more pain/spasms along with even more erect/sensitive nipples than if recovering during warmer weather. Is this true?

Breast Augmentation Temperatures

Dear LiveLaughlLove08,

There should be no difference in your result or recovery any month of the year. Most of my patients return to work in three days and work place temperatures are likely to be the same year round.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Thank you for your question.  In my experience recovery after breast augmentation is not affected by the time of year that the procedure is done.  Many patients choose to have breast augmentation in the winter months so that they will be able to go to the beach and wear summer clothing without concern about recovery.

Surgery during winter months

Thank you for your question.  Your recovery should be unaffected by the time of year during which your surgery is performed.  In fact, the winter months are often the busiest time of year for plastic surgeons.  None of my patients have ever described cold temperatures causing any specific problem related to recovery.  

Weather and BAM recovery

Hi neighbor

You asked a great question.  From my experience (nothing scientific), I find that cold air flowing over the breast skin can cause spasm which is the main source of pain in submuscular BAM.  I have not found it to affect nipple sensitivity.  I have seen that this sensitivity to cold can last up to two winters, and gets better over time.  Note that you may experience the same thing sitting under an A/C.  Also note that not all patients experience this.

All the best.

sek

Breast augmentation recovery in the colder months.

Of course we practice in Chicago which is known for cold winters, and we don't find that recovery is any more difficult in cold weather, and very many use the time for augmentation so they are ready for spring and summer.

Thanks for your question.  In my experience with a practice in North Texas, I have not found that my patients have a more difficult recovery in the colder months.  The number of patients having breast augmentations performed is actually generally high during the winter.  Make sure you have an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and have all of your questions answered.

Naveen Setty, MD

Planning Surgery

This has never been a problem in my practice. Recovery involves reducing physical activity for a time- including swimming, which can be more of a hindrance in the summer. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your expectations.

All the best

Breast augmentation recovery in the winter months.

I'm unaware of any special issues recovering from BA in the colder winter months.  I do think that hot humid weather is more of a potential annoyance as is too early a return to physical activities (such as summer sports).  Most patients choose to undergo the procedure anticipating swimsuit season or a vacation so schedule at your convenience.  Enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Kind of a funny question. If cold weather were a problem there would be no breast augments in the NE US in the winter ever. It's not a problem.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Recovery from breast augmentation in the winter

Thanks for your inquiry and very interesting question.  I do not think your recovery is harder in the winter, especially a North Texas winter which is not so bad!  In the summer patients need to be worried about sweating and their incisions and in the winter patients need to be concerned about ice and falling.  Good Luck.