Will my 400cc implants look bigger as time goes by? (photos)

I am about 95 pounds and got 400cc ultra high profile under the muscle silicone implants two weeks ago and I feel like they look tiny and I'm not happy with them really at all. I'm thankful for having boobs now but I wanted more volume. When I wear shirts you can't tell I have anything

Implant Size

Dear sjohnsonnn, 

No, they will not look bigger nor should they. Realize the proper position of the implant is to be centered under the nipple, which yours are. Any larger than this and your are going to get the dreaded uni-boob in the middle with them touching or you risk the implants bottoming out.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Drop & Fluff

Thank you for your question and photos. Your breasts do not currently appear tiny for your frame. It is common for patients to have a different view of their own appearance at first when healing from surgery though. There are slow changes while breast tissue swells, then settles and implants drop.  For the patient, changes are often difficult to appreciate. Your tissue is currently tight. Implants are high up and under pressure at the moment. They will not look larger but as the lower poles of your breast slowly expand, the implant volume can be expected to drop in and "fluff" out the breasts. You may be happier with the look of them in a few months but you must be patient for these changes.

All the best

Will My 400cc implants look bigger as time goes by?

No your breast will not look larger as time goes by.   Unless you gain weight, it's very rare that breast become enlarged post surgery.  With time they tend to settle.

Will my implants look larger as time goes by?

Thank you for your question. Your implants will not look larger as time goes by.  Over the next 3 to 6 months, your implants will settle into the pocket created for them at the time of surgery. You have a very small chest and your implants look well proportioned to your chest size. Over time, the skin overlying the implants will continue to stretch. If you are unhappy with the size of the implants you could consider a larger implant after at least a year, when the skin envelope has had time to stretch. Allow yourself time to heal now. Good luck! 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Give it some time

You are very small, the implants you had placed already seem to be pushing the limits of chest dimensions. Allow things to settle and your results will continue to improve. 

Implant Size

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your results. Your implants will not look bigger as time goes by, but will settle into the breast pockets in the next 3-6 months which will change the shape/look of them. Your surgeon most likely used an implant that was safe for you and matched your measurements. If you are still concerned after 3-6 months, speak with your PS, in the meantime, give yourself time to heal. Good luck!

John S. Lee, MD

95 lbs With 400 cc Breast Implants

You can't tell you have "anything?" Before and after photos would be helpful. They will not look bigger, but they will drop some and look a bit more natural. Your breasts do not look "tiny." In fact, for your frame, that is a good-sized implant volume. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. You'll need a breast lift sooner with bigger implants. If you want more volume, that may come with more long-term consequences - neck pain, back pain, thinned and stretched out skin, stretch marks, breast/nipple sensation changes, etc. Sometimes, better (what you're considering better is bigger) is the enemy of good. If you're healing well now, without any complications and you're filling out your shirts better, it may be best to leave things just as they are. But you're the one who has to live with your body. If you're truly not satisfied, discuss your options with your plastic surgeon.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Will my 400cc implants look bigger as time goes by?

Thank you for your question. You are early in healing phase. They will continue to change in the next several weeks. Please follow instructions from your PS and express your concerns to your PS

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery.  Based on your photographs, it seems to me like your plastic surgeon has likely utilized  as large as (safely) possible breast implant volumes for you. 

You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

In other words, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed; your breasts will undoubtedly change over the course of the next several weeks/months.   The vast majority of patients with your concerns at your stage in the recovery process, turn out to be much happier two to three months after the procedure was performed.

For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change. Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled. I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term regardless of the specific cup sizes achieved.