How long do you have to wear a compression garment after Lipo?

What's the recommended time to wear a compression garment after Lipo

Lipo garments should be worn for 2 months.

I recommend patients wear the lipo garments for 1-2 weeks 24 hrs a day then  on during the day and off at night for the 3rd -8th week.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Post-liposuction compression garment use

Hi, I recommend wearing a compression garment for 6 weeks. It should be worn 24 hours a day (except for showering) for the first four weeks, and just during the day in the fifth and sixth weeks. Wearing a compression garment will provide comfort, even skin draping, and also prevents formation of a seroma (fluid accumulation).

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

We like our patients to wear it for 6 weeks post surgery day and night. It can't hurt to wear it for longer but too short isn't ideal.

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction and swelling can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. In my practice, I have patients use double compression (foam underneath and full body suit on top), 24/7 for 3-4 weeks and then nightly for another 3-4 weeks. Protocol and post-operative care will vary, I suggest speaking to your physician for his or her post-operative protocol.

Garment after liposuction

There is no textbook answer to this question .Every plastic surgeon has their own postoperative regimen . In my practice I usually have patients wear  their garment 24hrs/day for the first 2 weeks and then as much as possible for the next 2 weeks. Having said that some patients wear the garment for 6 weeks or more . It certainly doesn't hurt anything and they like the support. In summary ,4-6 weeks is about average.

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

I recommend to my patients to wear the liposuction compression garments for 24 hours daily for the first three weeks. After this time they can cut back to 8 hours per day although the longer you wear the garment the better your end result will be

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Compression garment

Thank you for your question. There will be a variety of answers from different surgeons. The answer can depend on what area you are talking about. Whatever surgeon you are working with will help you follow the guidelines they have found to be most helpful to their patients. I usually counsel my patients to wear the garment 3-6 weeks depending on the area. Also you will want to address if you should wear the compression garment night and day.  Your surgeon will be your best resource for your individual case. 
Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment

Hello. The standard usage for a compression garment is usually 4-6 weeks. Some physicians suggest only two weeks; some patients wear it for up to 6 MONTHS. Your safe to stick with standard usage. 

Liposuction garment

I prefer that patients wear a compression garment for 3-6 weeks minimum. Some surgeon do not even have their surgeon wear a garment.

Post op compression

Thanks for your question. The Short answer is 6-8 weeks for my patients. However depending on how much post op swelling they get that time might change. I have had patients in formal compression garments for up to 12 weeks. But most are stepping down to yoga pants or biker shorts by 6 weeks. These garments tend to be more comfortable and less likely to lease crease in the skin. 

John Mancoll, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon