How soon after Breast lift with implants surgery is it safe to resume driving, work, exercise, traveling, sex etc?

Surgery scheduled in less than 3 weeks and I am very anxious to know when I will be able to resume everyday activity. As my life is very active with work and traveling and also having a 3 yr old. I do not slow down very much. I do have an over night out of town trip planned for 4 weeks after it presumptuous to believe I will be able to keep these plans?

Returning to Your Daily Routine

While each board-certified plastic surgeon has their own post-op recovery recommendations, during my nearly 30 years of experience, I tell my patients that on average they will fully recover 6 weeks after their breast augmentation. During this 6-week healing process, any strenuous impact on the chest muscles should be avoided. Patients normally feel able to return to week about 7-10 after their surgery. It is best to ease into your daily routine slowly, but a vacation one-month post surgery should be suitable. Be sure to discuss your recovery post-op with your board-certified surgeon for a personalized recommendation based on your active lifestyle. 

Activity after lift with implants

Thank you for your question. Your surgeon should have gone over return to activity instructions with you during your consultation. Most women are off of pain medication three to five days following surgery. I allow my patients to shower 24 hours after the procedure. I restrict activity to nothing strenuous and no heavy lifting for 4 weeks after surgery. Heavy lifting is considered anything more than 10 to 15 pounds. Each surgeon has slightly different post-operative recommendations. I suggest you speak directly with your surgeon about do's and don'ts following your procedure. Hope this helps.

Resuming activity after breast augmentation/lifting surgery?

Thank you for the question. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to. Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body" as you do so. You should be able to keep your plans for an overnight trip,  depending on exactly how you are progressing and exactly what you are planning during your trip. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Activity after surgery

In general, I allow patients to drive about 10 days to 2 weeks after surgery, and resume light aerobic exercise in 3-4 weeks. Heavy lifting and severe exertion in about 6-8 weeks.  Best to ask your surgeon.

#breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery #breastlift

Hello Ashley1178, thank you for your excellent question! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. Each surgical procedure has it's own set of post operative instructions. Your surgeon's preference and your health history play a role in what goes into your post operative instructions.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our breast surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery  

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative Restrictions After a Breast Augmentation and Lift

You will likely be okay to proceed with an overnight trip 4 weeks after your surgery, assuming that you are not planning on doing anything physically strenuous. To be safe, I would run this by your surgeon. In general, I recommend 2 weeks of nothing strenuous from an exercise standpoint (nothing that will get your heart rate and blood pressure elevated) and a full 6 weeks of no heavy weight lifting (less than 15 pounds).  Driving doesn't really fall under the strenuous category, but you should not operate machinery while you are on pain medications or just after an anesthetic. Sex falls into the strenuous category of activities. Work - it depends upon what you do. Best of luck!

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question. For my patients, I recommend no strenuous activity or heavy lifting for 6-8 weeks following surgery. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Communication with your surgeon is key

Dear Ashley1178,
Every surgeon has his/her own protocols for return to activities after breast lift and augmentation.  It is best for you to direct your questions to your surgeon or his support staff and unfair of us to comment and potentially undermine his/her instructions.  Good luck!