Is Restylane Lyft okay to inject into my temples? (photos)

I recently (2 weeks ago) had restylane lyft injected into my temples. At the end of a week I noticed nodules appearing more on my left side. The injector kept massaging it in. When the swelling went down I noticed some nodules going into the sides of my eyes. When I told her, she said the bumps are there because she didn't have enough. Previously, I had voluma put there by a board certified plastic surgeon. It was always smooth. I am so distressed by this! What can I do?

Restylane Lyft okay to inject into my temples?

Hard to blame the filler over the change in injecting doctor! Lesson is use only very experienced injectors.

Restylane Lyft/Temples/ Liquid Face Lift/Hyaluronic Acids

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you follow up with your Injector to voice your concerns.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Restylane Lyft in temples

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. I inject filler deep in the temple and massage vigorously in order to achieve a natural, smooth result. If you are not pleased you could have the filler dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Lyft

Restylane left is an excel filler to place in the temples. If you are concerned with the appearance of the filler you can always have it dissolved (this is the benefit of Lyft or Voluma versus Radiesse). When injecting the temples I find that deep injections prevent these nodules from forming. Superficial injections have a greater tendency towards the cobblestone appearance.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Restylane Lyft and Voluma have similar viscosities, so it's not the material, but the experience of your provider

Thank you for your question. After reviewing your question, I understand you had injectables placed into your temples, and several days later you noticed lumps or nodules developing in the area, particularly on your left temple. After attempting to massage the lumps, you state the lumps moved closer to your eye. You say you didn’t have this kind of problem when getting Voluma injections from a Board-certified plastic surgeon, and you’d like to know if Restylane Lyft is safe for temples.

To first give you a little about my background — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I’m very familiar with both Restylane Lyft and Voluma, as I use these products frequently in my practice.

As a surgeon, I have trained in various surgical fields and completed my residency at level 1 trauma center. I mention this because it is important to understand that when you’re undergoing a procedure that goes beyond the dermis, or into the deeper levels of the soft tissue, it is a great advantage to have a surgeon who is familiar with the anatomy overseeing the procedure. Ideally, this would be a surgeon who has worked specifically on the face, who has trained in residency in trauma and cosmetic surgery, who has performed procedures such as brow lifts or endoscopic brow lifts, and coronal brow lifts or open brow lifts. This is important because, along with these techniques, is knowledge of the anatomy of that particular area called the temporal fossa, which also houses the temporalis muscle.

I can see how the placement of this material in this particular area could be problematic for someone who has not seen the tissues in this area opened up during the training they received. You described that your previous experience of getting Voluma under a surgeon was a positive one, and I think this had to do with your previous surgeon’s confidence in their ability to place the material in an artful way that would give you the best results. It all comes down to the level of placement. There are situations where a more superficial placement is beneficial, and there are other cases that require deeper placement. This particular area is tricky since there are a number of important nerves and vessels involved. As such, I can understand how some physicians would rather choose a conservative and superficial approach. On the other hand, if you understand the anatomy of this area very well, you can work around it. In the case of your previous doctor with whom you had a positive experience, it is obvious that they placed the material at a deeper level because they were more confident and familiar with the treatment area. In my case, I frequently use Restylane Lyft and Voluma in the temporal areas, and consistently get good and smooth results. I don’t think it is a problem with the material itself, but more an issue relating to your attending physician’s experience. Keep in mind that Restylane Lyft and Voluma both have very similar viscosities, so it is not a matter of using thinner filler versus thicker filler.

The temporal fossa is an area that has an indentation to it, particularly around the rim of the bone or orbital rim, so sometimes a little more volume is needed. This is especially true as people get older since the indentation of the temples start to look more pronounced. It is possible that when the material was being massaged, it shifted forward. You may want to consider having the material dissolved with hyaluronidase if it still hasn’t gotten completely diffused or smoothed out, and then having the procedure re-done by a surgeon. It would be good for you to also take this opportunity to choose someone with a surgical background.

Another thing I think would also be beneficial for you in the long run is to choose a surgeon who you like and feel comfortable with, and just stick with them. Unfortunately, many people bounce from clinic to clinic and doctor to doctor in their quest for deals, which of course do not exist. Ultimately, developing a long-term clinical relationship with a cosmetic surgeon is the best way to get your desired result because it allows your surgeon to become more familiar with your anatomy and more in sync with your cosmetic goals.

In my practice, a majority of my patients understand and share my aesthetic style and values, and so we resonate with each other in terms of how we approach the procedure. In many cases, I have become the primary care doctor for cosmetic concerns for many of my patients, and because of that, I am able to guide them on the different procedures I can provide for them, and give them advice on how to navigate a lot of the new information in cosmetic surgery.

Again, I suggest that you find a surgeon or specialist who you are comfortable with, and hopefully someone who is accessible so you can build this long-term clinical relationship with them. Consistency is important, and the understanding that these types of procedures are more of an art form and not a commodity is essential. Remember, just because two different providers offer the same thing does not make them equal. The material itself can be equal, but how the material is used can be very different.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Filler was placed too superficially

The skin in temple area is very thin, and injections here must be done deep over the bone to prevent lumps. You can remove these by placement of a small amount of an enzyme called hyaloronidaze. In addition, temple injections should always be done by and experienced physician who knows the anatomy well, and avoiding possible intravascular injections which can have significant consequences. Regardless of the type of filler, ask for injection with a cannula in this area to avoid serious complications. I prefer sculptra in temples due to its safety profile and long lasting results. Best of luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Restylane Lyft is OK to Inject into the Temples

As with any injections, lumps and and asymmetry are always a possibility.  There are several things you can do at this point. First, you can have it dissolved away with hyalurodinase and then have it re injected again.  ANother option which may be better is to have additional amounts placed into the depressions to lessen the appearance of the lumps and bumps. Hyaluronic acid based fillers can last in the temples up to a area. I would discuss options with your provider

All the best

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Restylane Lyft into Temples

Restylane Lyft can deliver a great natural looking result when injected into the temples. It's a fairly common procedure at my practice. If your results are not what you hoped, I would recommend returning to the person who did the procedure and discussing dissolving the filler and/or getting more filler to correct the unevenness. It is also possible you are allergic to Lyft but that possibility is quite small.

When Restylane Lyft is injected in the temple area it should be injected very deep so that there should be very little chance of seeing any lumps or bumps on the surface.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Restylane Lyft In Temples

Restylane Lyft is a hyaluronic acid that injected correctly into the temples can deliver a natural result. If you are dissatisfied with the result, I recommend returning to your provider to discuss the possibility of injecting hyaluronidase to dissolve it and consider reinjection. It is best to seek treatment from an experienced injector.

Good Luck!

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nodules from Restylane Lyft and Temples

I prefer Voluma or Sculptra over Restylane Lyft for this area.  It sounds like a combination of technique and product. Now you should have it dissolved and plan on seeking the experience of an expert for future injections.  Best, Dr. Green