Which facial filler is the least risky?

I am considering a facial filler for thin cheeks. I'm concerned about long term complications I've read about as well as migration of the filler, lumps, or blindness. What's the safest filler? Thanks

Which facial filler is the least risky?

Hello, and thanks for your question. While all medical procedures involve a certain amount of calculated risk, you can minimize this risk by selecting a physician with adequate training and experience. Therefore, in order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Safer facial filler for cheek augmentation

All cosmetic treatments have an inherent risk, including but not limited to lumps, bumps, migration, asymmetry, infection, etc. Generally, plastic surgeons consider hyaluronic acid fillers "safer", as they can be potentially be reversed with hyaluronidase injections. In addition, facial fillers that don't last longer usually have less risk. As always, speak with a board-certified physician who specializes in cosmetic treatments to perform a comprehensive evaluation and help determine appropriate options for you.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Least risky facial filler

Fillers which consists of hyaluronic acid (such as the Juvederm or Restylane families) are considered to be "reversible"- they can be dissolved with hyaluronidase if needed.  Reversibility is a feature which adds greatly to their safety since they can generally be dissolved in the event of a problem.

However, you should realize that the most important factor in terms of filler safety is not the filler itself but the injector.  Careful, slow, conservative injections are key.  Aspiration of the syringe plunger prior to injection can help reduce the risk of intravascular injection.  Using a blunt cannula rather than a sharp needle greatly reduces the risk of intravascular injection.  I inject fillers in many patients every day.  With good technique, the vast majority of serious problems can be avoided.  Of course there is a risk with any elective cosmetic procedure.  If you're not comfortable with the risks, there is no need to proceed further.

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon