My skin died after liposuction. I am still draining and it has been almost four weeks since my liposuction. Is it normal?

I had Liposuction on the flanks and sides, the Dr. took out almost 5 liters. Three days after at my postoperative visit my right side started turning black and blue. I was in so much pain I had to have additional medication. The Dr didn't see me until a couple of days later. By then the skin was coming off and it looked like I was burnt. He Put Silvadane on the whole area, I'm found out I was allergic and it burned me even more. The fluid never stopped draining, now what? I look awful!

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Non-healing skin wound after liposuction

This sounds to be a very rare and unusual circumstance.  The question at this point is whether your wound is not healing because of tissue damage that is slow to heal, an infection in the wound, or a lingering allergic reaction to Silvadene.  It may be a combination of factors.  Please see your surgeon who may consider a wound culture and/or enlisting the help of a wound care specialist.

Lawrence Osman, MD

Liposuction. Skin died and draining

I am very very sorry you have had such a problem.
This is a rare complication - it sounds as though you put yourself in the care of a doctor who is not a qualified plastic surgeon.

Have your regular doctor refer you to a wound center for care. It will take time to heal.

In the future select an ABMS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon when having cosmetic plastic surgery 

Best wishes