Is dysport use for migraine?

Dysport no approved for migraines

Dysport is not approved by the FDA for migraines which means that it will not be covered by insurance or any other type of reimbursement generally.  Dysport can be effective the same as Botox is; however, these treatments would be cash related and considered off-label use.

New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is currently the only neuromodulator FDA approved to treat migraines.

Botox is currently the only neuromodulator FDA approved to treat migraines, but that being said, Dysport and Xeomin can also both be used off-label to help with chronic migraines. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist with experience using neuromodulators to treat chronic migraines for an in-person evaluation and discussion of medical history to see if you could be a good candidate for this treatment.

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Dysport for Migraines

Through extensive research, scientists have suggested that Dysport may have a positive effect on migraines. Although Dysport is commonly used as a treatment for chronic migraines, Botox is currently the only neuromodulator that is FDA approved to treat migraines. Read more about Botox below.

***This is answer does not constitute a true medical advice. You must consult your physician for an in-person evaluation and management.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport Works For Migraines

Dysport is very effective for migraine relief.  Botox is FDA approved for migraines, but in my experience, they are similar.  

Botox did a study on wrinkling which showed that Botox lasted a few more weeks than Dysport, and this seems to be true for migraines as well.  

Dysport for migraines

Any neuromodulator helps alleviate migraines, but only Botox has FDA approval for this specifically. I very much doubt either of the other two (on the market currently are Dysport and Xeomin) would go through the process of getting approval for this treatment because it is expensive, and honestly, most insurances aren't covering this anymore anyway, which was the original reason that Botox did the approval.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Dysport for Migraines

Any neuromodulator (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) can decrease the frequency and the symptoms of migraines when injected properly.  While Botox is the only FDA approved "on label" neuromodulator, we frequently use Dypsort to achieve a rapid improvement of migraines.  Please visit a board certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or neurologist who has significant experience in using neuromodulators to treat migraines.  Unfortunately, I have seen many complications from inexperienced injectors.  

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport for migraines

Botox is approved for use in some types of migraine headaches.  While Dysport could potentially be used for this purpose, it would be considered an off-label use because it is not specifically approved for treatment of migraines.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon