Significant swelling on one side of lip after Juvederm injections. What do I do? (Photo)

Three weeks ago, I got botox and juvederm fillers in order to fix a gummy smile. This was the first time I had done this and it helped fix the problem however, my smile was slightly uneven. She warned me this may happen because I bleed a lot so today when I returned for touch ups I decided to get greedy. Now I look crazy! She told me it's just because I'm bruised and swollen but it's been four hours now and no bruise has formed. Last time the bruise appeared within one hour. What do I do?

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Swelling and bruising can occur after Juvederm placement, as it typically takes 10-14 days to see optimal results. The bulk of the swelling should subside within the next few days. Best, Dr. Emer

Swelling after lip filler injection

Swelling is normal after lip injections. It has only been 4 hours. I would continue icing and give it some time. Some injectors may prefer to put you on a short course of steroids to expedite the swelling. Nothing to worry about at this time. Just be patient. 

Final Result After Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Gentle massage may be beneficial.  My best advice would be to give it a full 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Any unwanted filler can be easily removed with hyaluronidase.  Best wishes!

What to do for lip swelling after Juvederm?

If you bled "a lot" you may have a lip hematoma. It may also be just normal swelling. Regardless, it will take approximately 2-3 weeks for the swelling to improve. For now, cool compresses, herbal supplements such as arnica and bromelain, and perhaps a steroid injection or steroid pills (Medrol dose pack) can help in improving the swelling and hastening the healing process. Let approximately 3-4 weeks pass before doing anything in terms of reversing the Juvederm with hyaluronidase as swelling will mask the effect.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Significant swelling after Juvederm injections. What do I do?

Thank you for sharing your photographs.  Due to the thin tissues of the lips significant swelling after injections can be common, and I would recommend using cold compresses, arnica Montana and bromelain supplements, and head elevation while sleeping as useful anti-swelling measures.  This swelling should resolve in a few days.  Hope this helps.

Significant swelling on one side of lip after Juvederm injections. What do I do?

It may take a day or two for swelling to improve. Give it some more time and see how it looks. If too much was injected, it can be reversed.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS