Am I a Candidate for Forehead Reduction Procedure? (photo)

I have really huge wide forehead which also sticks out. Bangs don't fit me, I look like 10 years old with them. I'd like to know if it's possible to do forehead reduction on my face or hair transplants would be better? I need to reduce it for 1,5 cm only

Am I a Candidate for Forehead Reduction Procedure?

Yes it's possible but you will never wear you hair like that again IMHO.  I have performed Brow Lifts for well over 20 years and have seen patients who have had the front hairline incision done elsewhere.  Even when beautifully healed, the hairline looks like it was drawn on with a white marking pen.  The villous hairs that break up the hairline are removed and the hairline appears straight and unnautural.  It might be best for you to learn the proper aesthetics of facial beauty so other ares of the face can be improved thereby drawing attention away from the high forehead.  Learn to like bangs as they are IMO, the best aesthetic option for you.  

Forehead Reduction?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Although I see the area of concern,  I think you will be better off without intervention at this time. Of the two options you mention the forehead reduction is a better option  but this does have the downside of a potentially visible scar and  an irregular hairline.

In your case,  I think the advantages of the forehead reduction surgery are outweighed by the potential disadvantages.

Candidate for Forehead Reduction

You appear to be a candidate for forehead reduction. To explore your options, consult in person with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Candidates for Forehead Reduction by lowering hairline

Since you have a high hair line/receding hair line, the incision would be made at the hair line.  By using a beveling incision technique under magnification to preserve maximum hair follicles, the scar will be minimized as individual hairs will grow into the scar camouflaging it in many cases so that you could wear your hair pulled back. In other cases the scar may be visible but in that case micrografts could hide it.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Forehead reduction

You appear to be a good candidate for a forehead reduction.  There is a way to perform the procedure without significant brow elevation.

Sam Naficy, MD

Forehead reduction

Thank you for the question and the photo. Forehead reduction involves removing the skin at your hairline and is an option for you but you should understand the risks, the most common of which is the scar along the hairline. If you are willing to accept this, it is a great option to balance your face.

There is no free ride

Your high forehead can be reduced.  The hairline incision is camoflagued but not invisible.  Your scalp laxity, evaluated before the surgery in consultation, will forcast whether you are at risk for the incision/scar to widen and or inadvertant brow elevation as a result of the closure tension.  With or without surgery hair styles can emphasize and de-emphasize aspects of your face.  See your surgeon but also see a good hair stylist!!

Lee Kleiman, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead reduction not recommended

The hairline reduction procedure will unfortunately raise the eyebrows at the expense of lowering the hairline and will be an unacceptable cosmetic result, so it is best not to have any work done. 

Forehead Reduction

You are an excellent candidate for a forehead reduction. It is difficult to achieve a natural result using hair transplants. That is why we developed the Irregular Trichohytic Hairline incision to lower the hairline and reduce the forehead. With this technique, a lady achieves normal uniform hair density at the new hairline and total freedom of styling. I refer you  to our website for a description of the surgery and a photo gallery of results.

Forehead reduction / hairline lowering surgery

Forehead reduction or hairline lowering surgery in Atlanta is a popular procedure.  Several factors determine if you are a candidate though 1.5cm is feasible in most people.  How mobile your scalp is when you put your fingers on your scalp and try to move it is a major consideration.  Also, previous surgery on your scalp or brow may preclude you from having surgery.  

IMO, hairline lowering is better than hair transplant in my hands as the scar heals very well and patients are usually very happy as soon as day one.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon