If you transfer too fat much during BBL (like 1000-1200 cc per cheek), will it survive? Is there a standard/recommended amount?

Hello, I have gone to a few consultations with different surgeons and recieved different responses to the my question. 1 Doc said they will only put up to 600 cc in each cheek bc if you put more, that fat will die and 600 cc is usually your final result after swelling, etc. Another Dr. said about 1000-1200 which is double what the last one said. So, if you put too much fat, will it die as it has to establish a blood source? I would like the max fat. Thanks for your input.

Doctor Answers 4

It really all depends

I find a minimum of 500 cc of purified fat per buttocks is necessary to give an improvement, but I prefer to inject around 850-1000 cc per buttocks.   This all really depends on having enough quality fat to harvest, good skin tone so as not to end up with dents and divots post harvest and the size of your current buttocks.  Larger buttocks can accommodate more fat and I have been able to inject around 1500 cc in the past.  I do believe there is a point of diminishing returns regarding how much fat can be injected without being reabsorbed.  I generally use the principle that I inject fat until the buttocks feels firm and tight.  Sometimes you can see the fat pouring out of some of the incisions, this is a sign in my opinion that the max has been injected.  Remember that pressure is the enemy in BBLs.  Good luck..  


Washington DC Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

It really all depends

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I find a minimum of 500 cc of purified fat per buttocks is necessary to give an improvement, but I prefer to inject around 850-1000 cc per buttocks.   This all really depends on having enough quality fat to harvest, good skin tone so as not to end up with dents and divots post harvest and the size of your current buttocks.  Larger buttocks can accommodate more fat and I have been able to inject around 1500 cc in the past.  I do believe there is a point of diminishing returns regarding how much fat can be injected without being reabsorbed.  I generally use the principle that I inject fat until the buttocks feels firm and tight.  Sometimes you can see the fat pouring out of some of the incisions, this is a sign in my opinion that the max has been injected.  Remember that pressure is the enemy in BBLs.  Good luck..  


Washington DC Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

If you transfer too fat much during BBL (like 1000-1200 cc per cheek), will it survive? Is there a standard/recommended amount?

Thank you for your question.

The amount of cc transferred to your buttocks depends entirely on how much available fat you have to transfer. Provided that you are otherwise healthy and have enough fat to work with, we are able to be as aggressive as possible to achieve your desired outcome. I would recommend an in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine your exact surgery plan. 

When you are evaluating your results from a Brazilian Butt Lift, you will want to keep in mind that only 70% of the fat is going to live and the other 30% will dissolve over time. In saying that, you should expect your initial results to be about 30% larger than what your final results are going to look like.

It is also important to note that you are going to have a lot of swelling in the areas where liposuction was performed. One of the key things in a Brazilian Butt Lift is the fact that your result come not only from the amount of fat that is transferred to the buttocks, but also the amount of fat that is subtracted above the buttocks to give that nice curve. Therefore, while the buttocks may decrease in size with healing, the lower back and waist will also decrease in size—meaning your results may actually improve over time.

Best of luck to you!

If you transfer too fat much during BBL (like 1000-1200 cc per cheek), will it survive? Is there a standard/recommended amount?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.

The amount of cc transferred to your buttocks depends entirely on how much available fat you have to transfer. Provided that you are otherwise healthy and have enough fat to work with, we are able to be as aggressive as possible to achieve your desired outcome. I would recommend an in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine your exact surgery plan. 

When you are evaluating your results from a Brazilian Butt Lift, you will want to keep in mind that only 70% of the fat is going to live and the other 30% will dissolve over time. In saying that, you should expect your initial results to be about 30% larger than what your final results are going to look like.

It is also important to note that you are going to have a lot of swelling in the areas where liposuction was performed. One of the key things in a Brazilian Butt Lift is the fact that your result come not only from the amount of fat that is transferred to the buttocks, but also the amount of fat that is subtracted above the buttocks to give that nice curve. Therefore, while the buttocks may decrease in size with healing, the lower back and waist will also decrease in size—meaning your results may actually improve over time.

Best of luck to you!

Volume of safe fat transfer in BBL

This question is often asked. The amount of fat to transfer is based on each individual patient and the buttock envelope. The results of a BBL are not based on volume of fat transfer but rather the body contouring. 


#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting 


Volume of safe fat transfer in BBL

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This question is often asked. The amount of fat to transfer is based on each individual patient and the buttock envelope. The results of a BBL are not based on volume of fat transfer but rather the body contouring. 


#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting 


Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I specialize in Brazilian Butt lifts and body contouring procedures.  The amount of enhancement possible depends on how much fat can be harvested from your body.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

I specialize in Brazilian Butt lifts and body contouring procedures.  The amount of enhancement possible depends on how much fat can be harvested from your body.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.