Do saline breast implants get smaller 8 years after surgery?

I had saline breast implants in 2008 and now I notice my left breast has gotten smaller..i am a lot over weight but instead of my breast getting bigger the left one is much smaller then the right one, is there a reason? Thk..y

Shrinking saline breast implant.

It is very possible that your 2008 left breast saline implant may be loosing volume due to a leak in the filling valve.  You should contact your plastic surgeon for an examination/consultation, since this problem may be covered by the manufacturer's warranty program.

Good luck with your care.  Best Regards,

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

If one breast has gotten significantly smaller than the other side menu may have a leak in your saline breast implant.  It is best to see your plastic surgeon for an examination to find out if you have had a leak and need replacement of the implant.

Saline Implant losing volume after several years

There is a possibility that your implant has a very slow leak if you are noticing a volume loss not related to weight loss.  I would recommend you visit with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation and examination.  Good luck.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants can deflate, either partially or completely. Silicone gel filled implants cannot do that, even though they can also develop a tear in the shel, although this is rare. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options, and it is probably best to start with your own surgeon if still available. 

Your situation is totally non-urgent and only represents an aesthetic and therefore psychological (or practical) problem, but certainly not a medical one, so please know that there are many women who have asymmetric breasts. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Without in person examination must think you have a leak event, but NOT sure. Best to seek only in person examinations with you urged or other boarded PS in your area.

Saline implants smaller

This is not uncommon.Usually what is happening is the the breast tissue over the implants gets smaller with age ie we lose breast volume.when a saline impalnt fails you will knwo it.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Smaller Breast Implant

Thank you for your question. It is possible that your breast implant is leaking. You should have your breasts examined by a board certified plastic surgeon to formally evaluate your concerns and discuss the various options for treatment. Typically, a leaking implant is removed and replaced with a new one. Your surgeon can discuss the options of saline vs. silicone implants with you so that you can make an informed decision about what you are comfortable with. 

Left breast getting smaller

Hello and thank you for your questions. It sounds like the left breast implant may be leaking. The implants are filled with saline, which is just salt water. Saline is not harmful to the body and as it leaks out the body will just absorb it. The breast can lose its volume fast or slow depending on how big of a leak it is. Sometimes after a high force to a breast the implant can leak saline out very quickly. Your implants are about 8 years old so if the implant is leaking and you get it replaced you should probably get the other one replaced as well. The reason I say that is because the rec is to replace implants every 10 years and you are coming up on that. If you get the left one replaced you will already be under anesthesia so you might as well get the other one replaced to save you another anesthesia and down time in the near future. I hope you are going to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Getting Smaller?

The most likely answer to that question is that you have a leak in one of your implants. This can happen over time and if it happens in the first 10 years it is possible you may be entitled to a new pair of implants. Silicone implants are much more forgiving and overall give a more natural appearance and feel.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through an in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Saline implant rupture

Thank you for your question Angela.

Saline implants have a 1%/year chance of spontaneously deflating (i.e., 8% chance in 8 years), and the good thing is that unlike silicone implants which require MRIs to diagnose implant rupture, the breast with saline implant rupture will reduce in size.

This means that your left implant is most likely leaking and will continue to leak, making your left breast smaller over time.

Please have an in-person follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon and you may require an implant replacement surgery. I am not sure, but some costs may be covered if the implant truly ruptured as provided by lifetime warranties of certain implant manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD