Is it normal to still be sore 1 year after a Brazilian Butt Lift?

Its been a litter over a year since ive under had a bbl from time to time my butt is sore is this normal after a year? I also feel little knots in curtain areas in my butt that could be become I wasnt having massages after my bbl right?

Soreness 1 year after BBL

At one year post-op, your healing is essentially complete, and any soreness or "little knots" are unlikely to get  better or resolve. This is due to the areas of dead fat that have turned into scar tissue, not  because you failed to have massage therapy.

Not all of the transplanted fat heals and survives, and any dead fat cells or globules turn into scar tissue or areas of fat necrosis that can feel firm or like "little knots." This is not harmful, but can be uncomfortable and visibly irregular. (BTW, this is why I do not endorse fat grafting for breast augmentation, as scar tissue, "little knots," or microcalcifications can confuse the diagnosis of breast cancer on mammography. Though radiologists can often identify the differences between dead fat calcifications caused by fat grafts that do not survive, from dead fat caused by cancer, I am unwilling to risk the lives of my patients by fat grafting their breasts.) Since buttocks do not develop beast cancer, this area of fat grafting does not have this concern!

Massage would not have increased fat graft survival, nor will it be helpful now that healing is complete. The best I can offer is reassurance that soreness is not of concern unless it is accompanied by redness, swelling, or purulent drainage (pus) indicative of infection. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sore one year after a BBL

It is unusual to feel sore one year after a BBL. It could represent many different things and is always best to be evaluated in person .  Good luck.