Is It Better to Have Filler First Before Lower Face Lift?

I'm considering Lower Face Lift but I would like to try fillers first. I am 49 years old.

Fillers are great after a lower facelift to enhance the overall improvement

2 weeks after a lower facelift is a great time to enhance the results with fillers. Often a TCA peel is done at the same time as the facelift so there is less areas to put the fillers in when the results of the peel and lift are seen at the 2 week period. Face/neck lifts can be done easily and safely under local tum. anesthesia with a quicker, less painful recovery for roughly $6-8,500. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial rejuvenation options for a 49-year-old

Dear patient from South Carolina,
When we reach age fifty, the aging process coarsens the texture of the skin, diminishes its youthful layer of fatty tissue, and causes the angularity of the face to be lost. As the skin makes its downward descent off the cheeks, jaw, and neck, it pouches into unsightly bags and overhanging jowls. At this point, lower facelift is the primary treatment for improving these aging processes. In some cases, secondary treatment would be a fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing. Fillers are temporary and cannot achieve what facelift can bring about. I recommend you to have a consult with a board certified surgeon specializing in facial rejuvenation. Good luck.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Fillers and facelifts address 2 different problems.

Fillers fill cracks-Facelifts remove skin. If I am dealing with the average patient in your age group with too much sagging skin, I do a facelift. Often, since they are asleep, I will fill in cracks and depressions with temporary fillers or the patients own fat or tissue.

Local Anaesthetic Lower Facelift

Thank you for your question.  Please could you post a picture so I can access, however in my opinion my patients above the age of 45 will opt for my local anaesthetic facelift.  This gives the same results as a traditional facelift, therefore targeting the SMAS muscle and skin, giving a longevity of 10-12 years.  The Concept Facelift, enables patients to have minimum swelling and bruising therefore overall reduce recovery period.  My patients are back to work and their daily routine within 5 -7 days. Patients will normally have a chemical peel or filler after their facelift to give an overall refreshed result.
Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.
All The Best

Facelift and Filler Timing

Perhaps the best answer is to do both at the same time though before or after is also possible. One of the elements of aging is loss of volume in the cheeks, temples and sides of the chin. Fillers or fat transfer can be used to rejuvenate these areas. I typically perform fat transfer as part of my facelift procedure whether traditional or a mini scar technique (most common). The reason is that part of the aging process is loss of fat in the temples and cheek regions which varies from person to person. There is a limit of how much fat can be safely injected into one area. The amount of fat that remains over time is variable from patient to patient. For some patients, more fat or other fillers may need to be transferred in a subsequent surgery to maintain or supplement the desired results.The survival of fat transfer (lipoinjection) is highly technique sensitive so choose the plastic surgeon with the most experience in this technique. See the below links for added details.
#FacialFatTransfer
#FatTransfer

Lower face lift or fillers?

The choice is, of course, up to you to make.  Certainly, answering this question without the benefit of seeing photos, is even more difficult.  There is certainly nothing wrong with trying fillers and seeing if you are satisfied with them.  Please be careful with your expenditures as I have seen patients who come to me for a lift, sometimes after spending thousands of dollars on multiple fillers.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers before facelift.

Absolutely.  At your age you are likely to benefit greatly from fillers.  This will buy you some time and allow you to really research your facelift.

Best regards,

Dr. Bolitho

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

Fillers versus lower facelift

The answer to your question depends on several factors, including your appearance, the severity of the aging which you want to correct, your feelings about surgery, ability to have time off for recovery and your pocketbook.  For some patients who have early jowling, facial fillers can delay a facelift by at least 5-10 years.  During this time, they can build a relationship of trust with a plastic surgeon.  For patients with limited financial resources, filler offers the opportunity to improve appearance without a significant expenditure.  All of these considerations can be addressed in consultation.  I find that many of my female patients who work want to do something but are just not ready for a facelift---and that's fine so long as they understand the limitations of filler. 

Facelift and Fillers

In my opinion, it completely depends on what you look like and how you have aged.  Make sure you see someone who is a great filler and surgeon to help determine if you need one, the other or, in many cases, both.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift versus fillers

For most 49 year-olds, fillers would be a second choice to a true lift. If you have the time and money to complete the lift versus the fillers, you will get more dramatic and longer lasting improvement. You might also ask your doctor about fat grafting, which is a form of filling that is longer lasting. While aging changes are unique to each person, the average 39 year-old receives more benefits from filler than the average 49 year-old. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will ensure that a treatment plan is customized to your goals and anatomy.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon