Is there anything I can do to combat the SEVERE Itching I have from liposuction.

The itching is mainly on my hips, abdomen & back. My incisions don't hurt or itch. I had a MM on 8/31/16- Including muscle repair. The deep tissue itching is from what I assume is healing and nerve damage/regeneration? It is driving me crazy!!!! Is cold treatment ok and is there anything else I can do? Thank you!

Itching Post Liposuction: VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

Itching post-liposuction can be due to several factors: the garment can irritate the skin, irritation of the nerve fibers, and healing at the incision site. Usually the itching gets better within a few days to weeks. If it doesn't subside, please see your Dr. Sometimes, anti-histamines like Benadryl or Claritin can help. Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your mommy makeover procedure.  I am sorry to hear of your itching but there are a number of possible options for you to try and control these episodes - I would first try over the counter Benadryl as this can improve whole body itching, albeit with some development of sleepiness.  Secondly try to reduce your daily use of your prescription pain medication as this is an undesirable side effect, and lastly have your physician write for Vesteril as a prescription medication that can help as well.

Mommy make-over -- severe itching

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• This sounds rought -
  • Unless you had laser liposuction, this itching is quite unusual.
  • First, look at your medicines. If you are taking any narcotics, they are probably causing the itching.
  • If not, and you are wearing a garment, the garment is the likely culprit and you need to stop using it.
  • If it is neither - please see your surgeon to be checked. You can be allergic to internal sutures, tape and in fact any material used in surgery.
  • Although cold packs and over the counter medicines can help, please have your surgeon approve them before you use them.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Treatment of itching after body contour surgery.

Itching is fairly common after body contour surgery. Narcotics are a common culprit. If you can stop than it helps. I supplied to the area that's itching gets temporary relief. Antihistamines can be of benefit. For extreme cases the drug Neurontin can be of benefit.