I had an Obagi Blue Radiance peel done a week ago. Now having extreme irritation with tretinoin cream. Another peel today?

I had a blue radiance peel about 8 days ago. Reacted fine to the peel but am having intense redness, burning, and red patches on new skin after using tretinoin cream. It burns to wash my face with Cetaphil and to use the moisturizer..almost like a sunburn. I have another peel this afternoon. Should I call and reschedule?

Irritation from retin a

Peels should be delayed until your skin has settled enough so there is no irritation. Restarting retin a after peels should be gradual as the skin has become more sensitive from the peel.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiance Peel

I would advise not having another peel until the irritation has settled and discontinue using the Tretinoin and see your practitioner for advise.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Problems after Blue radiance Peel

Thank you for your question about your Obagi Blue Radiance Peel.

• The Obagi  Blue Radiance Peel is a salycylilc acid peel.
  • It is most often used for acne but can be used for other skin conditions.
  • I am surprised you were told to use tretinoin after your peel.
  • In general no tretinoin is used before any skin treatment for 2 - 7 days, depending on the treatment.
  • I strongly suggest you contact the doctor who did the peel, get instructions on skin management and post-pone the peel.
  • If you have not seen a doctor for these peels, I suggest you consult one first since it does not sound as though you are receiving fully informed care.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.