Can Eye Size/shape Change over a Short Period of Time?

I always thought my eyes were relatively symmetrical, but a few weeks ago I noticed one is considerably bigger than the other. It could just a shape issue, but it leads me to ask can the shape of your eye change? I am only in my early 20's so it's not like my eyes are drooping or changing due to old age.

Doctor Answers 5

Asymmetry of Eyes

Your question is helpful for many people who have slight asymmetry of the eyes (or face in general). We all have subtle asymmetries of our eyes and face. Usually this is normal, but on occasion there could be s medical condition causing the problem. A consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon will give you the correct answers. If the asymmetry is significant enough, the surgeon may make recommendation for a procedure. Thank you for the question.

Changes in eye shape or size over short period of time

Yes, indeed changes in the size and shape of eyelids can occur over a short period of time, but this is a very rare event usually due to orbital tumors or sinus related mucus seals. The more likely cause is that you have just now noticed that you have asymmetrical eyebrows and/or eyelids that have been there all along.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 107 reviews

Acute Eye Asymmetry Requires Work Up to Rule Out Growth

Hi Paranoid Boy,

You should consult with either an opthalmologist or an ENT physician.  Make sure that you have a MRI or CT scan of your orbits to make sure that there is not a growth that is causing the size of one eye to change its shape.  I would advise you to make this appointment ASAP.

Wishing you well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Eye shape

Eye shape is always a bit different from one side to the other. I always point it out in consultation, because patients will always notice things more after surgery.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Droopy eyelid

It is possible that you are developing droopy eyelid on one side, which can be due to many factors, such as contact lens wear.  More likely, you have had it for a long time and is now more pronounced.  Look at your photos when you were younger for this.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.