How Soon Can I Exercise After Receiving Botox Injections? And What Might Happen if I Were to Exercise the Same Day?

Botox and Exercise

We request that patients refrain from vigorous exercise or activity for 6 hours after Botox, and to stay upright. The concern with exercise does not have any studies to support, but is based on the theoretical concern that increased metabolic activity and blood flow may lead to a "flushing" of the Botox away from the treated area. This is also why we encourage exaggerated use of facial muscles for a few hours after--- to increase the muscular metabolic activity with the goal of increasing absorption and uptake of the Botox into those muscle areas.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise after botox

There is no evidence that exercise after botox injections causes problems. I tell my patients to try to wait 4 hours before exercise. Avoid any exercise that involves head down (yoga) or manipulation of the treated area.

Exercise Same Day As Botox

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that early activity such as exercise, alcohol, or laying down early will have any impact on your botox treatment. We advise patients to avoid early manipulation of the area, such as a facial or clarisonic treatment, to prevent potential migration of botox toxin. However, no studies support this as well.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Botox

I will often tell patients that while it is suggested to wait 4-6 hours before doing exercise, I tell them to wait until the next day.

How Soon Can I Exercise After Receiving Botox Injections?

I inform my patients to wait 24 hours before any type of exercise or skin treatments to create a better outcome.

I normally tell my patients to wait a full 24 hours before doing an intensive workout, you want the area to settle to fully see your result from your treatment.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Best to avoid exercise the day an injection is done

With our patients, we usually recommend a break from strenuous activities (i.e. exercise) on the same day that the injections were performed. This is to make sure you achieve the best results because it allows the Botox to "settle" in the area where it was injected and not migrate. The downtime is minimal for dermal fillers, but it's better to be safe than sorry . . . so we'd recommend waiting 24 hours.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no literature to support advising patients not to exercise for a specific duration after receiving Botox injections.  The theoretical risk of the Botox "migrating" to a muscle you don't want it to affect is a small possibility, which is why I advise all of my patients to not exercise and to stay in an upright position for about 4-6 hours following injection.  Post-injection instructions will vary from physician to physician. I also advise all patients to avoid massage, at home microdermabrasion, use of the clairsonic, and direct stimulation to the injected areas for a couple days after injections. I feel only "core" injectors should perform cosmetic injectables (facial plastic surgeons, plastic surgeons, dermatologists, or occuloplastic surgeons). This is because we all have a keen understanding of facial anatomy and the effects of injecting Botox/ Xeomin/ Dysport and fillers in different regions of the face. Be sure you are seeing one of us, and I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercising on Same Day of Botox Treatment

Avoid working out or performing vigorous physical activity for the rest of the day of your treatment. Your rate of recovery may be compromised if you exercise the same day, making swelling, bruising and discomfort last longer.

There are no studies that suggest certain activities could affect Botox injected areas. That being said, I still suggest refraining from any vigorous activities on the day of your injections.

Daniel Shapiro, MD