Am I too skinny for Breast Augmentation?

21yrs old, 80lbs. According to exams I'm healthy no thyroid problems or anything, just skinny. My question is will I be a good candidate for BA? I'm scared doctors will deny because of my weight. Thank you in advance.

As long as you are healthy your weight should not interfere with you having a breast augmentation.  However if you decide to have breast augmentation, assuming your breast gland is small, placing your breast implants underneath the chest muscle would be the best option to provide adequate coverage of the breast implant.

I also would recommend that she wait until your 22 years old at which point you can have the new cohesive silicone gel breast implants.  For more information please redelivering Below:

Too skinny for augmentation

It may be possible that you are too skinny and then again maybe not. You say you are healthy, just skinny. You didn't list your height. If you are 5 feet tall, your BMI would be 15.6. That is significantly underweight. (Anything under 18.5 is considered underweight) The problem with being underweight is that it is possible that you are malnourished, which would make it really difficult for you to heal properly. I would recommend that you get a work up with your primary care doctor before surgery to be sure that you are able to handle surgery.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Body habitus and breast augmentation

Dear Fannyb.
Your weight, in and of itself, does not qualify or disqualify you from breast augmentation.  You might be a candidate for a breast augmentation.  Your best option might be to wait until you are 22 and have anatomic implants placed.  I would recommend evaluation by an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  Good luck!

Breast Augmentation

Assuming that you are healthy, I don't think any surgeon would deny you a breast augmentation. However, considering the size of your frame, there may be limitations as to what exactly you can expect to achieve. I would advise you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast augmentation: Skinny can be okay

You could be a good candidate for breast augmentation. I've taken care of patients who were 80 pounds but they were also 4' 9". On my website, at the link below, you'll be able to see one of my patients who was 5 '7" and 105 pounds.

Your height is an important piece of information in addition to your general health. Most of my patients are interested in being proportional, so your plastic surgeon will take your height, weight and starting breast volume into consideration, among other measurements, when helping you decide an appropriate size for you. 

Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breasts augmentation

Dear Fanny,
   Front and side view pictures would have been helpful. You can have your breast augmentation, however you have to be careful about the size selection, so that the implants will not create ripples and be very obvious.
   Few year ago,  I had a 15 years old patient who was totally flat chested , which caused her to be socially isolated . I made her a B cup and used 175 cc implants (relatively very small ). She was happy and her social interaction changed completely. She went to college and few years later visited my office to thank me for the great positive change in her life. 
  Not all results are the same, because experience and skills are very important. So do your due diligence and choose wisely.
 Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons , who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Check the before and after in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.
                                    Dr Widder

Without examining you it is difficult to be certain but it would be unlikely that you'd be denied entirely based on your size if you are otherwise healthy. If you are very thin and don't have much breast tissue then you have an increased chance of implant visibility which may relegate you to submuscular placement as your only option. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Too skinny for breast augmentation?

You are very thin- if there is no medical contraindication, you can undergo breast augmentation.  Since you are not 22, you would have to get saline, which would out you at higher risk for rippling.  An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss sizes and options.

Too skinny for breast augmentation?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• If you are healthy, but very thin, you can definitely have a breast augmentation.
  • Implants in very thin women are usually silicone gel and are placed under the muscle, to conceal the implant as much as possible.
  • So go ahead and find a plastic surgeon with good credentials whom you feel you can trust.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

BAM

I think that you need to be seen in person to determine if you area  candidate. Your weight is not necessarily a contraindication if it is appropriate for your height.