Didn't massage my breasts after augmentation! Help!

I wasn't aware I was suppose to be massaging my breasts after my augmentation. My surgeon only mentioned it in passing... I had a full mommy makeover and maybe it was all secondary to the tt? At any rate I am 2 weeks post op and am afraid of a negative outcome. My breasts are pretty firm... Is this part of the process or because I didn't massage? Is it too late to start? I had smooth implants. Also, how long should this be done for? Thank you!

Breast massage after breast augmentation

There are no studies to really prove that breast implant massage helps prevent capsular contracture but the idea makes sense in smooth implants especially early on in the postoperative course when your body is forming the scar capsule around the implants.  That process takes months to fully mature.  In my practice, I have people start implant massage a couple of times daily once they are 1-2 weeks out.  I think people are often too sore to tolerate it any earlier.  So, you will be just fine. 

Didn't massage after augmentation! Help!

There is no evidence that breast massage after augmentation is of any benefit and some surgeons recommend breast massage and others do not. You need not worry about a negative outcome, and ask your surgeon about what to do during your next visit.

2 weeks post op

Most surgeons wouldn't suggest that you start massage this early after breast augmentation anyway.  You haven't caused any harm.  Ask your surgeon about his specific recommendations for massage, if he even suggests that you do so.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Speak to your plastic surgeon, we are all different

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns. This is important because every surgeon has different perspectives, the only one that should be important is the one that operated on you ;)

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Massage after breast implants

I'm sure you will hear lots of opinions on this topic of massage. Some plastic surgeons recommended some don't. I think it's more important in the early phase of either sub glandular or submuscular implants, but don't think it needs to be done for long-term in this submuscular position. Some implants that are highly textured, in my opinion, should not be massaged. Here we would like scar integration with the capsule and massage may be counterproductive. Certainly ask your plastic surgeon what he or she thinks is the best course of action for you. Congratulations on your surgery and hope for a smooth recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Some surgeons prefer massaging of the breasts, others don't. Highly doubt you will have a negative outcome but if you feel the need to start massaging them, then no harm in starting. Breasts tend to be firm when they are swollen and as your swelling resolves, you will notice that the breasts will soften and the implants will drop some. I always advise my patients to wait a good 4-6 months to see their final results to allow all of the swelling to resolve and to let the implants drop and settle some. Best of luck for great results!!

Help!

Hi!  In 17 years I have not once instructed my patients to massage their breasts following augmentation. I have had 2 clinically significant capsular contractures. One was on a breast reconstruction for cancer and the other was bleeding a week out from over exertion. I think you will be fine, just keep your plastic surgeon in the loop regarding your progress. Good luck!

Breast message following augmentation

Whether or not you messaged your breasts following augmentation probably will have no effect on whether you feel firm. it is not unusual with normal healing to feel firm  two weeks following augmentation.  See your surgeon for more information

John M. Griffin, MD

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry that this has caused you to worry.  Though there are varying opinions on implant displacement exercises after a breast augmentation, there has never been any data to show that it positively effects outcomes.  After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months.  The implants will drop at approximately the 4-6 week mark, and the overlying tissues will stretch to accommodate the extra volume. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Breast Massage

It is important for you to know what your breast are suppose to feel like after you are healed.  Ask your surgeon about breast massage at your next check up.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD