I've read in here that a vibrating toothbrush can break down unwanted lumps from Radiesse. Any proven results? (photos)

When I pull my lip down you can see the product. ?? It was fine for two weeks. Then these huge lumps appeared. The are starting to show from the outside.

I've read in here that a vibrating toothbrush can break down unwanted lumps from Radiesse.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph. Unfortunately due to its composition Radiesse should not be used in the lips as it can cause semi-permanent lumps and bumps to form.  Unfortunately there is no way to dissolve Radiesse and I do not think your toothbrush will likely be of any benefit.  Time or surgical excision can help remove this area.

Worth a try

A vibrating toothbrush and massage are worth a try.  Generally superficial Radiesse in the lips will need to be excised.

Radiesse Should Not Be Used For Lip Injection

Unfortunately, Radiesse is not an appropriate filler for lips.  It is too thick and too firm to be used for this purpose.  While there may be no harm in applying an electric toothbrush to your lower lip, I do not foresee any clinical improvement resulting from this treatment.  And, unfortunately for you, Radiesse tends to be relatively long lasting. In all likelihood, you will need to have the Radiesse lumps directly excised.  For future reference, Juvederm Smile or Restylane Silk tend to be much better choices for injection of the lips.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Radiesse is not for lips

Radiesse injections should not be done in the lips because the product with cause lumps and granulomas.  Generally, massage and pressure will not change the appearance of a nodule.  Most likely, this will need to be extracted surgically or cut out.  If radiesse was injected into the lips, I would suggest going to a different physician for a consultation.  It is always best to consult with an expert; it will save you time, money, and complications.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps from Radiesse

Thanks for your question. I don't recommend using Radiesse in the lips because it's too thick. Given that, you could try massaging the areas. I'm not sure that your electric toothbrush idea would work, but it shouldn't hurt you. I'd go back and discuss with your injector. Good luck.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse - lump in lips

Thank you for asking about your Radiesse.
  • Radiesse is not recommended for use in the lips because it is a thick filler.
  • I know of nothing that breaks it up or dissolves it - 
  • but if you have an electric toothbrush, it is worth trying - gently.
  • Please return to see the doctor who injected you - if the lumps do not go away, they may need surgical removal.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS