3rd day post tummy tuck, what happens if I don't wear my girdle?

Girdle Removal post op

Hello and thank you for reaching out. I would highly suggest the use of compression to ensure the edema decreases over a normal healing time. If there are issues with the fit or comfort level, please follow up with your surgeon to see what type of modifications can be made, but do not try to home remedy the problem without checking first. Best Wishes. 

Girdle after tummy tuck

You may experience more swelling that would delay your recovery. The girdle also provides support for the incision(s) and helps your skin conform to your new leaner shape. If you are experiencing pain when you wear your girdle, I suggest you speak with your surgeon. It might not fit properly.

Tummy tuck and girdle

The purpose of the compression garment, or girdle, is to help the swelling subside as quickly as possible.  Additionally, it helps to prevent further buildup of fluid underneath the skin flap.   Congratulations on your recent procedure.   Occasionally, there are discomfort issues with the girdles, and your plastic surgeon will be able to address these concerns and potentially change compression garments.   Best to you during your continued recovery.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

First of all thank you for the question.  The compression garment is there to help with your swelling and to keep the fluid down.  If you don't wear your compression garment, there is more of a chance of buildup of fluid and swelling in the abdomen.  I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon.  Best of Luck.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Use of compression garment following tummy tuck

This is a very common and good question!  Your compression garment helps to reduce swelling and provide needed support following a tummy tuck. While the girdle may not be very comfortable my patients have stated many times that they feel more comfortable with the compression garment on rather than when they remove it to shower. I typically will request my patients to wear the compression garment day and night only removing to shower for the first 4-5 weeks following a tummy tuck and then transition slowly out of the garment possibly only wearing it during the day or at night. 
If you feel you are experiencing more discomfort once the girdle is on without relief I would suggest following up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to verify the correct size was selected for you. While the compression at times can feel cumbersome it should not provide discomfort to the point of wishing to remove the garment all together only after 3 days. If this is a garment that you have purchased on your own I would absolutely recommend following up with your surgeon to verify the correct size and compression is achieved. I always provide two compression garments for my patients as part of their personalized post-operative kit which allows for each patient to be fitted correctly. Even with this extra measure at times the garment size needs to be adjusted for proper fit.
I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

What Happens if You Don't Wear Compression After Tummy Tuck

Thank you very much for your question.

If you don't wear your compression garment, there is more of a chance of buildup of fluid and swelling in the abdomen.  The compression garment also help so reinforce the muscle repair.

I'm assuming you are asking because you don't like your garment.  I recommend contacting your surgeon to discuss how you feel about it, and maybe some accommodations can be made you have you feel more comfortable.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

More Swollen

The Girdle helps to support the incission and also to reduce the Swolleness if you stop to wear ıt then you will get more swollen and this could cause complications for your tummy and longer recovery period. it is best that you follow instructions given by your surgeon and follow up with him.
Best to wear the girdle for a few weeks as told.

Thank you for your question. A compression garment can be greatly beneficial in your recovery, especially if your plastic surgeon has recommended it. If you are uncomfortable, I would speak to your surgeon about it to see if there are any other options.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck compression:

You should wear your compression garment. It's very important in my opinion.
It has multiple benefits including-
1- Bruising and swelling
2- Flatter and better results
3- Scar healing
4- Diet modification and portion control

Go to my web page linked below.
Under menu click on educational writings. From there go to tummy tuck. One of the writings is on exactly this topic. You will like the other ones too!

Hope this helps.
Dr Chris Saunders

Christopher Saunders, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Why wear a "girdle" after tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.  We use "binders" or "girdles" to compress the tissue as to decrease swelling and fluid accumulation.  It can also provide support to the muscle repair that was just performed.  If you are uncomfortable in your binder, you should talk to your surgeon to see if there are any better options or tweaks that can be made.  Congratulations and best of luck to you.  

Jeffrey G. Lind II, MD
The Woodlands General Surgeon