Can a person at 300 lbs get a tummy tuck?

Hi, I would like to know since I weigh 300 lbs and I am active and lost over 75 lbs gradually, can I go ahead with the process of a tummy tuck. That is my main problem area? Thanks.

Plastic Surgery

Congratulations on your weight loss, it is never easy lossing weight as it is with gaining. At 300 pound Tummy tuck would not be the best soluation for you right now i would advise for you to have Liposuction first which will help you loss more kilos and also contiune with your weight loss activities then after a cuple of months you can opt for Tummy tuck.

However it is also best to consult a qualified surgeon in your city that can examine you can best recommend the best procedure.

300 pounds and plastic surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your post. Plastic surgery is most effective in people who are at or very close to their ideal body weight. Weight loss is best achieved through diet and exercise however some patients may require a consultation with a bariatric surgery before consulting with a plastic surgeon. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

TT at 300lbs

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. In order to see the best results, we normally recommend that patients reach their ideal weight first.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck, 300 pounds

Congrats on your weigh loss! I typically recommend that patients reach their goal weight and maintain a healthy BMI before embarking on cosmetic surgery.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

TT at 300 lbs.

the short answer is yes. it may not be ideal. if you only want to undergo the TT procedure once, then try to get down to your goal weight. if the abdominal apron is getting in your way with activity or you have hit a plateau in your weight loss, then you could consider some type of surgical improvement as a stage 1 procedure, understanding that you will need additional procedures depending on your goals and expectations.

Tummy tuck at 300lbs

First, congratulations on your weight loss.   For most patients, we recommend that individuals being considered for a tummy tuck need to be near their goal weight.   Fortunately, it sounds like you are making healthy decisions.  Continue on your current plan and you should definitely be a candidate for a tummy tuck in the future.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck at 300 pounds

Congratulations on your weight loss. I usually do not perform a tummy tuck on somebody with a BMI of more than 30. However, in patients who have had massive weight loss like yourself, occasionally they have a heavy panus - overhanging skin and soft tissue of the lower abdomen that can cause rashes. Panniculectomy consists of removing the excess skin and soft tissue below the belly button only. The position of the belly button and the excess skin that you have above the belly button will not improve. If your primary concern is just the overhanging skin and infections then yes you can look at a pannicluectomy to help you from a functional standpoint. Panniculectomy is usually covered by insurance if there is a medical reason like overhanging skin and soft tissue causing skin infections. This can be done if necessary at 300 pounds but will not provide a nice aesthetic result.

If you want recontouring of your abdominal wall with the best aesthetic result possible and a flat abdomen then you should undergo a full tummy tuck with repair of your six pack muscles (rectus abdominis) after you have achieved a stable weight loss and your bmi is less than 30

Good luck with your ongoing weight loss !

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on the weight loss!  Though an apron of ski and fat may develop with along your stomach as a result of your weight loss, I would recommend you follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results. Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results. Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your successful weight loss thus far. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck / Mini Tummy Tuck /Abdominoplasty/ Liposuction/ Reverse Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz