Does Laser Hair Removal on the vagina cause a change in your menstrual cycle?

I have received my second treatment of laser hair removal almost 2 weeks ago. I laser the full brazilian. My period is almost 3 weeks late and i took 2 pregnancy test which both came out negative. Is there any way laser hair removal could have effected my menstrual cycle?

Laser Hair Removal and menstrual cycle

Scientifically speaking, it shouldn’t. Laser does not penetrate further than the dermis of your skin, where it disperses the hair follicle. I would recommend you to make an appointment with your OB/GYN to tackle this issue.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Laser hair removal changing your menstrual cycle

Laser hair removal targets the hair follicle which is in the dermis, this layer is 0.5 to 4.0mm thick. This is approximately 1/4 of an inch. Hair removal lasers are designed to not penetrate any further than this. Though you may feel some warmth from the laser, the treatment is very superficial. Additionally a large part of your menstrual cycle is controlled by a part of your brain which signals hormone release. I would suggest consulting with your primary care provider or OB/GYN about your irregular menses.

Adaeze Okeke, MD
Houston Physician

Laser Hair Removal Facts

It's highly unlikely that laser hair removal changed your menstrual cycle. If you're concerned, I recommend following up with your Dr. Best, Dr. Emer