Why do i have white itchy bumps after my first diode laser hair removal treatment? (photos)

I've just received my first laser hair removal session Friday. The next day he said I could shave. So I did. All was well in the morning but as the day went on my legs started to burn and itch so bad. I applied cold water to it because that was the only thing that could take away the pain and itching. I did not scratch them because I fear I'll scar. Today is Sunday and now they look like the pictures I've just posted.

Uncomfortable and Itchy after Laser Hair Removal Treatment

Laser hair removal is a procedure that uses an intense, pulsating beam of light to remove unwanted hair. The intense heat of the laser damages the hair follicle, which inhibits future hair growth. Laser hair removal is most effective for people who have light skin and dark hair.

Sometimes after laser hair removal treatment an itchy bumpy rash can occur. This is from the laser irritating the hair follicles in the treated area. You can apply a mild cortisone cream to the area. You can also take Benadryl to help with the itching. I recommend having this evaluated by your treating physician. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Itchy and Uncomfortable after laser hair removal

It is normal to get raised bumps after laser hair removal.  It usually helps to use hydrocortisone cream after each treatment and I would reccomend waiting 5 days or so after the treatment to shave.

Patricia Yugueros, MD

Itchy & Uncomfortable after Laser Hair Removal

Sometimes, there can be an itchy bumpy rash following laser hair removal. This is usually because of irritation of the hair follicles in the treated area, and this can be easily treated with a mild cortisone preparation. I suggest contacting your Dr. for a topical solution. Best, Dr. Emer