Does Dysport Take Longer to See Results or Did It Not Work for Me?

I had a Dysport treatment 7 days ago without any results. I am a 37 year old male and this was my first injection. I keep reading that results are supposed to happen within the first 48 hrs. I have strong corrugator muscles, would this slow the results?

Dysport effects on facial lines

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is a difference between my experience and some of the publshed data available. A number of articles state dysport is just as effective as botox, with the same duration and maybe even a slightly quicker onset. So, just like botox cosmetic, you do need to give it 2 weeks to get a true representation of what it can achieve.

That being said, my office experience with four different injectors (myself being one of them) have had some issues with the reproducibility of dysport. I have had patients that did not respond at all, some that did for only a short period of time, and some that just had different and less precise behavior than with prior botox cosmetic injections.

So despite the fact that it's cheaper for the doc and the patient, I am no longer a big fan. Some patients do prefer it to botox, but it is no where near as predictable as far as patient satisfaction. The area it seems to work the best is the crows feet. My suggestion to you is to either return to botox cosmetic, or try it as a comparison. I think you will prefer botox cosmetic.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait 2 weeks for Dysport results

Most people will have 90+% of their result within 1 week.  However, it can take 2 weeks to see the full result.  This is why most injectors will wait for 2 weeks before doing touchups.

I notice that the picture you posted is with your face in a relaxed position.  Sometimes patients think their dysport treatment didn't work because they still have lines when their face is at rest.  Remember, dysport only works on muscles.  Lines in the resting position does not mean that your treatment was not successful!  A successful treatment will decrease the intensity of the 11 lines when you try to pull your eyebrows together. 

Over many weeks, the lines that are in your skin may also soften, or even disappear.  This results from giving the skin a chance to rest and pop back, since the muscles are no longer deepening the line every time you frown. 

If you can still frown as deeply as before the treatment, it may mean that you need more units.  People with stronger muscles (includes most men) need a stronger dose.

Dysport usually starts working in 2-3 days but full effect is seen at 7-10 days.

If you haven't seen any effect from the dysport , then you should get a touch up of it since dysport usually starts to take effect within 2-3 days and full effect within 7-10 days.  Be aware, there is always going to be a charge for more dysport or botox when and if you ever need a touchup .  We charge $300 for an area and $150 for a touchup if I did the original shots as long as the touchup is within 2 weeks of the original injections.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport onset of action

In my experience Dysport has a quicker onset of action than Botox more in the 2 day range than in the 7 day range.  However I give it 7 - 10 days for both to see the full result. It also appears that Dysport diffuses more evenly and gives a smoother effect, and in my experience Dysport lasts somewhat longer than Botox, up to a month longer.  Patients often will build up a tolerance or resistance to Botox and this does not seem to happen with Dysport.  Patients in my practice have a much higher satisfaction with Dysport than with Botox, and Dysport has become my neurotoxin of choice.  

Paul Flashner, MD
Boston Physician

Does Dysport take longer to see results?

In most cases, Dysport works faster than Botox. At 7 days after treatment with Dysport, most patients should be seeing the full effects of the injections, although some patients may take longer. I would wait until around day 10-14 to consider adding more or adjusting the treatment at the next injection based on the results.

It is not uncommon that certain individuals simply need more than "standard" dosing for a given area, particularly men. Many male patients will require double the dosing to a given area that a petite woman might require in the same location.

Always see an expert physician injector to get a personalized treatment regimen.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport

Hello and thanks for your questions regarding Dysport. if you feel that you are not seeing the results that you desired, check back with the Doctor that performed the treatment and schedule a follow up consultation. Typically results should be seen by the patient in 3-7 days. Needing a second treatment or touch up treatment in not uncommon. If this was your first treatment, and there is no prior history, you may require more units to achieve the desired results.

Thank you for your question about Dysport.  I would be interested to know how many units you received in the "11's" area.  Being a male patient, it is known that you will likely need a larger amount of units than a female due to stronger muscles in that area.  It is possible that you did not receive an amount strong enough to affect your corrugator muscles.  Typical female dosage is 50-60 units.  It will often require even more for male patients.  If this was your first time being injected, it is very likely the injector was being conservative to see how your muscles reacted to a lower number of units.  I will often do that with the thinking of "I can always add more, but I can't take it out".  I would encourage you to follow up with your injector to discuss. 

To be sure, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Dysport Results

Dysport, as well as Botox, typically show results within 24 - 48 hours with finally results being after 14 days. Some patients don't see any results until the 14th day. My recommendation to you is to wait and see if your final results are to your liking, if you are not satisfied, consult with the physician that treated you. Your physician will determine if you need more product or may decide to change from Dysport to Botox. Best of luck to you, Dr Fouda Neel 

Dysport onset of action

Dysport takes a full 14 days to see its full effectiveness.  It can kick in a bit earlier than Botox around 2-3 days but the full result will still take 14 days.  

Dysport seems to work a bit better in the forehead and around the eyes. Even though there isn't any real scientific evidence suggesting Dysport works longer, anecdotally, I have many patients that feel it kicks in faster and works longer.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport results

If you still can move the frown lines, you should compare it to what it was at baseline. If you want further reduction, you may need more Dysport. Once you get the dosing that you need to get the results that you're looking for, you should be able to reproduce this with every treatment.