Is it possible to have a tummy tuck after hip surgery due to a serious car accident? (Photo)

Just recently been involved in a serious car accident where I fractured my ace tabular and had to have an open reduction internal fixation to repair it, now have a large scar over hip area and one for a second fracture where I would have a c section scar. Problem is I was considering a tummy tuck since have a 3yr old and a 1 year old who was a massive 11lb born which left me with loose skin. Is this still possible after this kind of surgery to have a tummy tuck?

Post Hip Surgery Abdominoplasty

It may be possible to Plan a Tummy Tuck procedure. You will need to discuss your medical history and particulars in person with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Tummy Tuck Following Hip Surgery

It is likely that you can still have a tummy tuck but this will require a consultation with a plastic surgeon to know for sure.  Your surgeon will assess your overall medical condition as well as your abdominal and flank areas and specifically determine if the scar from you surgery will interfere with the surgical procedure or require some alteration to the procedure to minimize your risks.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

You can have a tummy tuck

You will be able to have a tummy tuck. Your surgeon will need to modify surgery approach to accomodate your existing scars.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Is it possible to have a tummy tuck after hip surgery due to a serious car accident?

Thank you for your question and sorry to hear about your accident and injuries.  The injuries do not necessarily prevent you from being a candidate for a tummy tuck in the future.  Your surgeon will have to assess the scars from the fracture repairs to determine if there will be any blood supply issues to the skin and tissues following the tummy tuck.  Make sure you let your surgeon know of the injuries and surgeries.  As always, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon (ABPS) to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Thank you for your question. It would still be possible for you to have a tummy tuck in the future. Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. It should still be possible for you to have a tummy tuck procedure. Make sure you see a board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate your overall health and advise you when the best time will be to proceed with surgery.

Assuming your have healed properly after your injury, your plastic surgeon can evaluate you and most likely do a tummy tuck. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Yes, you can safely have a tummy tuck in the future, but you need to wait until your current scars are soft and white, ie fully healed. That can be many months to over a year. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck after hip fractures

Very sorry to hear about an accident of that magnitude. You will be able to have an abdominoplasty in the future but I would encourage you to wait at least a year to allow for complete orthopedic healing and physical therapy. Keep in mind that the tummy tuck involves 3-4 hours on the OR table and restricted movement for a couple of weeks. This should be discussed with your orthopedist and physical therapist. Best.

Tummy tuck after hip surgery

Thank you for including the radiographic image!  I am so sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident, but very happy that you are doing well.  From your description of the scar location, it is likely that a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) would still be feasible in the future.  One consideration is whether the scar from that surgery can be removed entirely as the abdominal skin is moved downward, which would be optimal so that there is less likelihood of skin "bridging" between the two scars.  Skin located in between parallel scars can experience a decrease in blood supply and result in healing problems.  A second consideration would be the interval of time between your orthopaedic procedure and a tummy tuck.  Being involved in a traumatic accident with the need for surgery in this region certainly increases the risk of deep venous thrombosis (DVT; blood clots that form in the veins of the legs or pelvis).  It would be best to recover entirely from your current injury and surgery so that this risk is not compounded, a process that will take several months.  Also, your blood count (hematocrit) should be allowed to return to normal before embarking on a tummy tuck.  Best wishes for a continued good recovery!