Double Chin Exercises

not so sure understand why the opinions of doctors on here is that double chin exercise is not possibel... wouldnt getting thinner and stronger neck muscles tighten and eventually reduce the appearance of the chin fat... So depressed if my double chin is here to stay unless i get surgery! no disrespect to the doctors here!

Correcting a Double Chin with Exercise

As regards "double chin exercise is not possibel.." - I am ASSUMING you are NOT asking if one CAN exercises neck muscles (of course they can) but rather, if doing so (by themselves or a variety of devices hawked on TV would reverse a double neck or a Turkey Gobbler Deformity or a Double Pillars Deformity.

A Young neck has a minimal amount of fat the hides the edges of the muscles giving the neck smooth, sharp outlines. The thin muscle that extents from the upper chest to the lower jaw - the Platysma is firmly attached to the underlying deeper muscles creating an acute angle between the line of the jaw and the line of the anterior neck. As fat accumulates in front or behind the platysma, as there is excess neck skin and as the platysma becomes detached and falls forward the ACUITY of the neck is lost and is replaced with an older appearing OBLIQUE angle.

NO EXERCISES will pull the platysma back and re-glue it to the underlying muscles (especially where the jaw line meets the neck). No exercise will shrink excess skin either.

So - if you prefer to get neck version of the "thigh master" or of "the abdominizer" - go ahead. But it will be a disappointment and a waste of your money.

To get a youthful skin you will need an experienced Plastic surgeon to determine which are the features responsible for your particular deformity and do the appropriate operation to fix it : Liposuction by itself, liposuction with a neck lift, or Face and Neck Lift.

Dr. P. Aldea

Double Chin Exercises

First, it is important to keep in mind that there is no such thing as loosing weight in a certain spot aka “spot reduction”. The human body likes to lose weight in an even manner, for the most part. So, unfortunately, exercises that you might be doing specific to the chin and neck region will do nothing to lessen the amount of fat in that area. If you are you are on a rigorous exercise program involving all areas of the body, with both cardio and weights, there is a good chance that the fat in the area under the chin will lessen (and other parts of your body will improve as well, another benefit of exercising!). That being said, if you are sick and tired of exercising, and have not seen much improvement, I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon to consider submental liposuction. Good luck!

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Double Chin Exercises vs. Neck Surgery

While it is unlikely that any form of exercise can make a big difference in your neck shape,, I see nothing wrong with going on an exercise program to see what happens. Many books and devices exist that provide instruction for 'tightening the neck'. If it produces enough change that you are satisfied, then good for you. If it does not, then you have proven that surgery is the only option. It certainly does not have any negative effect on future surgery should you decide to go that route.

Exercises for a double chin

Physicians can only recommend treatments that have been shown to produce clincial results that are significant beyond those that might be obtained by the placebo effect. If a device has not been studied and published in the medical literature it is not recommended normally. A double chin, usually needs surgery. Some treatments though, result in a good result when not expected to. These paradoxical results become the impetus for more study. Some people with loose neck muscle (platysma) bands get a better neck profile angle when Botox is injected (as an off-label use). One might expect the muscle to hang looser from the Botox but it appears that maybe the muscle when not treated contacts and makes a straight line losing its nicer acute angle and appears to hang down. The Botox minimizes this tightness and the muscle then falls back in line with the neck angle until it can contract again. So as this is an unusual finding, one can not easily say that neck muscle exercises would help a double chin, but they might. As more people try what you've mentioned we might learn that it truly works.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Double chin exercises

Your best bet for making your double chin go away is to arrange a consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Double chins are caused by fat, for which the solution is liposuction or weight loss. If the platysma is loose it should be tightened with a playtsmaplasty. In our practice we prefer a Neck-Lace.

Don't waste your money or hopes on quackery.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Neck and chin exercises for control of double chin or turkey neck

I have seen the TV commercials, which I assume, you are discussing. This infomercial touts the use of a neck exercise maching to improve neck & chin contours and the results appear impressive. Please do your own experiment and report back to us. I would love if you would purchase this device, perform the exercise, lose weight and report back to us on your experience. Our experience tells us that this will not work. WE see patients who try this and fail. However, I am always open to learning. If your problem is exclusively fat and lax muscle, I could see this as a potential solution. However, your problem is most likely due to lax skin (which exercise will not help) and localized fat (which generalized weight loss will not control).

Surgical Intervention for Double Chin

Double chin deformities can adversely impact facial aesthetics and for this reason patients frequently seek treatment of this condition. This condition can be caused by abnormalities of the facial skeleton, loose skin and neck fat collections.  Unfortunately, all of these problems require surgical intervention.  Neck exercises wouldn’t impact the underlying anatomic problem.

For this reason, patients with double chin deformities should consult a board certified plastic surgeon.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for this problem.

Double chin exercises don't work

There are 3 components in the neck  that lead to the aging process. These are skin muscle and fat. Depending upon the age of the patient, there may be inelastic skin in the neck which must be treated with face/neck lift, not a neck lift. There are fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle in the neck which have to be removed with a combination of liposuction and direct sculpting surgically. The platysma neck muscles also tend to bowstring  and become fibrotic with the aging process and must be surgically tightened in the submental area and released at the thyroid area if the bands are starting to show through the skin. Double chin exercises will have no benefit whatsoever in rejuvenation of the neck. For many examples of what a neck lift can accomplish in our practice, please see the link below to our neck lift photo  gallery

Anatomy may be working against you

some people just have a low hanging hyoid bone that is low and anterior making it difficult to create a well defined jaw, chin and neck. Additionally if you don't have a strong projected chin and jaw this works against you as well. In these instances no amount of exercise, weight loss, etc. will change the way that looks significantly. Also if you are approaching the age of 50 or 60 there are two large salary glands under the jaw that start to show themselves or sag and creates even more fullness under the jawline which is very difficult to treat short of cutting them out which I don't recommend.

I hope that is helpful

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin Exercises

There are no exercises to get rid of double chin. Liposuction is a less expensive option & has a short recuperation period.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon