Lumps along incision, breast reduction, 9 months out.

I'm 9 months out from a breast reduction and found 3 hard lumps along the incision line on my left breast. They are fairly small, fixed and hard. Is this normal for this stage of healing? All lumps are just under the incision. Should I be worried?

Incision lumps after breast surgery

Hopefully you are pleased with your result both cosmetically and functionally.  The lumps that you describe are most likely sutures that have not fully dissolved and have residual inflammation around them.  On occasion these can also be the start of scar thickening or a process of small amounts of breast fat calcifying.  All of these are benign and manageable.  Have your surgeon evaluate these areas as he or she will be able to readily tell you exactly what is occurring and what, if anything, needs to be done if they are bothersome.  All the best.

Lumps along incisions

I think that if you have new lumps in you breasts, this should be evaluated by your surgeon in person.  Good luck.

Lumps in the incision line

Thanks for reaching out.  What you are describing sound like stitches that are buried inside.  They should dissolve on their own over time. However sometimes they don't dissolve and work themselves to the surface. They are not dangerous, but they can be a bother.  Show your surgeon to verify this is what you are experiencing.

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon