Do Botox Injections Work on the Neck Bands?

Can Botox be used on the neck banding? What else does neck injection offer to a patient?

Botox can be helpful for softening neck bands.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A lesser known use of Botox, and one that requires conservative decisionmaking and skill, is for the platysmal bands of the neck. The platysma is a sheet of muscle that comes down the entire neck under the skin. This is the muscle that is tightened up against the jawline in a plastic surgery neck lift.

Vertical bands or folds that especially pull tight when grimacing can be softened with appropriate use of Botox. It takes many units to achieve the effect, but the risk is also present for having unwanted effects in the neck such as problems with swallowing when too much is used in the wrong place.

Please see your board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to review whether this would be helpful for you.

Botox may help

Botox can flatten the neck folds that hang down if they're not too big. This makes a more sharp angle at the neck on profile which looks younger. It can also help diminish fine horizontal creases but Botox does not work as well on all patients...some may not get improvement. If the sight of your neck really bothers you then schedule a consultation with a Botox expert.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox injections are effective for neck bands

Botox is very effective at correcting the medial two bands of the neck, called platysmal bands. Of course, the injections are effective only when they are correctly placed into the platysma muscle.

The platysma muscle is very thin, and should be injected by physicians experienced with this area. The proper dosage should be used, and if the injections are improperly placed, complications with swallowing can occur. Choose your physician most carefully. Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox on the neck - Yes, but have an experienced injector

Botox can be used for platysmal bands of the neck, but be very cautious and pick someone who does this regularly, as there are some vital structures in the neck that must not be disturbed.

I would also recommend having a formal consultation with a plastic surgeon, as oftentimes Botox is not the answer, but rather a neck lift - this can give a very natural, durable result.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Botox Cosmetic injections in the neck can be used to...

Botox Cosmetic injections in the neck can be used to soften platysmal bands or the turkey waddle in the neck. This is an off label use of the medication but can be safely done. Great caution must be used as injection in the neck area can lead to difficulty swallowing. This will resolve once the Botox Cosmetic has worn off but can result in the need for special feeding arrangements.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for neck bands

Thank you for your question. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. When injected into the skin Botox will relax the muscles and smoothen out the overlying wrinkles. The most common areas of treatment are in the upper face. These include the horizontal lines seen on the upper forehead when one raises the brows, the vertical lines seen between the brows when one frowns (frown lines), and the crow's feet seen around the eyes when one smiles.

Botox can also be used in various areas in the lower face. Botox can be placed in the orbicularis oris muscle around the lips to provide a pout to the lips and reduce the appearance of vertical lines around the lips sometimes called smoker’s lines (although they are seen in people who do not smoke as well). Botox can be placed in the depressor anguli oris (DAO) muscle to elevate downturned corners of the mouth which sometimes produce a sad face appearance. Botox can be placed in the mentalis muscle on the chin to address a cobblestone appearance or dimpling on the chin. Botox can be placed in the masster muscle in the lower face to contour the lower face and address pain associated with TMJ. Botox can be placed in the levator labii superioris alequae nasii (LLSAN) muscle located just beside the nose on either side to address what is called the gummy smile. The gummy smile is seen in some people whose upper lip elevates so high when they smile that the upper gums are seen in addition to their upper teeth. Botox can be placed in a vestigial muscle (seen in some people) called the depressor septi nasii to prevent the tip of the nose from moving downward when smiling. Botox can be placed just under the jawline in what is called the Nefertiti lift to relax the platysma muscle which pulls down on the lower face, thereby improving jawline definition. When placed lower in the neck Botox can address vertical neck bands. For my patients I usually use 10 units per band.

The pivotal studies used 20 units of Botox in the glabella area between the brow to address the frown lines. These studies demonstrated that the peak results are seen 14 days after the treatment and most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months. At that point, a maintenance treatment is recommended. While some people start to see results as early as the next day, it can take two weeks for full results so patience is important. We have our patients return two weeks after their treatment to assess their results via photographs. At that time additional units may be added if necessary. Although such studies have not been performed for neck bands I have found that when treating this area peak results are seen 14 days after the treatment and most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months.

With any injection, there are risks such as pain, bleeding, bruising, redness, swelling, tenderness, and infection. We take special precautions to minimize these risks such as using a painless technique. We also treat bruises with a laser as early as the next day. Bruises usually resolve within two weeks if untreated. After a laser treatment bruises usually resolve in 1-3 days, but may still take two weeks for full resolution.

After a Botox treatment, I recommend that my patients avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours and not lie down flat for four hours. This is because all of these activities may possibly lead to the movement of the product and consequent side effects such as droopy eyelids as described above. Although there have been no definitive studies shown that these actually occur and some physicians do not provide such aftercare instructions, in the absence of data I err on the side of caution and recommend that my patients avoid such activities.

Botox is what we call a neuromodulator. This means that it controls nerves to prevent the muscles from contracting. Botox is the most popular neuromodulator available, has been the most studied, and is cleared for the most number of indications. Other neuromodulators available in the United States include Dysport, Xeomin, and Mybloc. Overseas many others are also available. Each product has slight differences, but all of them work. The majority of our patients find that they like the results of Botox the best. Additionally, Allergan, the maker of Botox, offers the Brilliant Distinctions Program. This is a rewards program where patients receive points from their Botox treatments which can be used toward discounts at subsequent treatments. Points are also received when patients purchase other treatments in the Allergan portfolio including Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Voluma, Volbella, Vollure, and Kybella or products such as Latisse or Skin Medica products.

I find that combining Botox with other treatments or skin care regimens enhances the results and allows patients to enjoy their results for longer. One specific topical product our patients have found to be outstanding in conjunction with a Botox (and filler) treatment is our Hydrating Serum, which contains hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid draws water into the skin and helps to fill in fine lines and wrinkles.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Botox Can Reduce Neck Bands

Botox can indeed reduce the two platysmal muscle bands in the neck. It takes some finesse and expertise to use Botox in this area, as misplacement of the neuromodulator could cause some problems with swallowing. The Botox can also provide a slight lift to the neck area.  It does not work for all patients.   I hope this helps.

Can Botox be used for neck bands?

Yes. Botox is used on the bands of the neck muscle called the platysma. It is a good options for the "banding" that can occur in this area.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for neck bands

Thank you for your question. Botox can be a very safe and effective way in helping to soften the appearance of neck bands by relaxing the muscles. I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area to address your concern as it is an advanced area to treat. And in addition, there may be alternatives that can be used as a standalone or in conjunction with Botox to provide an even more effective treatment.

Botox for Neck Bands

I often inject Botox into the neck bands which are due to the platysma muscle.  Usually there are two bands that run vertically under the chin.  While it is possible to cause problems if injections are too deep or too much Botox is injected, I have never had a problem in this area.  I inject the neck bands superficially/shallow and don't use a lot of units.  Some of my patients really like this injection.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon